• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What fuel is primarily used to heat your home.

What fuel is primarily used to heat your home.

• Electricity

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Propane

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Natural Gas

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Wood

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Pellets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kerosene

• Oil

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Coal

• I don't need to heat my home. A/C for me.

• Other

• Total voters

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score

With winter setting in for a lot of us lets talk heat.

Always looking for poll ideas post them HERE or send me a PM.......

Poll doesn't allow multiple choices.

House #1 : electric

House #2 : Oil with wood backup

House #3 (cottage) : Electric with wood

Mom's house (which I pretty much take care of) : electric with oil drip stove backup

Travel trailer : Propane and electric

Electric here, and the wife and I have thought about changing it. It's an all electric house and we're not comfortable being tied to a single utility source. We do have a backup generator, but not large enough to run the heat pump, only 7.5Kw. I also hate electric stoves, and would much rather cook on gas. Oddly, even though our neighbor has natural gas, the company wants $10k to run a line to our house, claiming it needs to be brought in from the next street over. We've thought about propane but, like with oil heat, you're then dependent on fuel deliveries, which can be a problem in the winter. I will be doing some major renovations to the living room next year though, and a wood burning fireplace is going to be part of that project. Oh, and we do have two kerosene heaters (usually used in the garage or shed) in case we lose power and need heat in the winter.

Sandwich house Nat Gas with WB FP backup, Sandwich Shop WB stove, Sycamore cabin OWB with heat pump/elect backup, Sycamore garage overhead elect.

Nat. gas and a WB stove. Power outages are taken care of with my welder and a transfer switch at the transformer pole. Used it yesterday for 3 hrs.

Natural gas. Wood stove used to supplement the heat in the winter. Although I could burn solely wood and be done with it.

The three not in necessarily in order: Wood stove, Electric baseboard/forced air fan, Fuel oil Bryant/Beckett burner furnace.

Wood primary. Oil stove as overnight backup on really cold nights, wood stove isn't big enough to hold a fire all night. Electric wall heaters throughout the house, only use the upstairs bedroom ones at night to help keep the chill out.

...Although I could burn solely wood and be done with it.

I don't know about that.

My previous house was primarily heated with wood.

I hated it.

Sure the house got good and warm, and it was a bit cheaper than other sources but it was also a major PITA.

The cutting, the stacking, the mice making homes in the piles, the ferrying it into the house, the smoke, the mess from the wood, the bugs in the house in teh middle of winter as teh wood warmed up, lighting it, relighting it in the morning, cleaning the ashes, cleaning the flue, burning the hair off your hands, burning the skin on your hands.......

Nope, I'll pay a little more and be done with that crap.

Now I just keep a little bit around to make a nice fire in the big granite fireplace in the living room.....

Sure there are the drawbacks but the positive side not mentioned is the benefit of exercise involved with the wood process. Sure, some do enough other exercises and don't really need it but it isn't insignificant and shouldn't be considered wasted physical exertion.

Sure there are the drawbacks but the positive side not mentioned is the benefit of exercise involved with the wood process. Sure, some do enough other exercises and don't really need it but it isn't insignificant and shouldn't be considered wasted physical exertion.

Fair enough and a valid point.

With the responsibilities my job carries, I just don't have the time required in all that labor.

When I get home, I'd rather wrench on my 62 t-bird or spend time with the wife.

Fair enough and a valid point.

With the responsibilities my job carries, I just don't have the time required in all that labor.

When I get home, I'd rather wrench on my 62 t-bird or spend time with the wife.
You can do that while processing the wood,..you split....she stacks it :hihi:

You can do that while processing the wood,..you split....she stacks it :hihi:

Nope, the missus is better used for ..........other things...........that relieve stress.

:rolleyes5:

You're young yet BJ so you're wired to think that way. Many years down the road when your wires start to get crossed you'll think differently...;)

:hihi:

Back