• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what does the 98 "S" computer need?

North Maine

Merchant Mariner
Reaction score
I'm going to install my "F" intake soon even though my "F" computer is completely worthless and I need to use my "S" programing I have. If i leave the vacuum crap all hooked up to my EGR valve will the truck still think that it is doing EGR? even if the EGR valve isnt attached to the intake, or attached but with no EGR supply?

It should work.
While waiting to get my "F" GL4, I just plugged with a bolt the vacuum line to the EGR valve. The EGR valve was itself standing alone on the plenum just to block it.
The PCM was almost happy and never throw a code.
I've tried that on several truck with stock S PCM and that mod seem to work fine.

So, I believe you can put your F intake with no problem, let your EGR valve connected and sit on the side or just plug the vac line, both should work.

PCM doesn't know the EGR valve from a Schrader valve - it does, however, know when the correct amount of vacuum is applied to the EGR by monitoring that sensor on the firewall...................

Back