• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What do you think a 2000 F-350 PS is worth ?

Acesneights1

Reaction score
My mother has decided to sell my Fathers truck and I have been giving it some thought. Wasn't really looking at going the ford route unless it was an Excursion but my wife does not want one for her vehichle. Since I am currently truckless and camping season is around the corner I have been giving Dad's truck a second thought. He has owned it since 25k and it has barley been used. It's at 88k now. It is an xlt lariat with every possible option and a 8ft minute mount. It was his baby and since I can't afford to get burned again like I did with the Dodge buying someone elses headache, maybe this is the way to go.

I'd say more than an 03 or 04. Well, maybe not worth more but more desireable. Sounds like good mileage.

2000 was one of the better years of the 7.3L. It was the last year of the forged rods, and didn't have the trans problems that 01 had(the diode problem that caused many 01 trannies to die). If you plan on keeping it at lower HP levels they are pretty good trucks, but to get alot of HP out of many you have to do some work to the turbo(wicked wheel or ported housing) and many have HPOP problems when they turn em up more than 60-80HP. Upgrade the stock air box to either a tymar(large round paper air filter) or the factory FORD severe duty upgrade and let her eat.

I will keep the truck stock. It runs fine the way it is. I'll look into the air cleaner you said. The only issue the truck ever had was in the winter sometimes it runs a little weird like it's hunting around a little but The truck sits alot. It's running fine right now. It doesn't seem like a horrible engine to work on. I did a water pump on it a few months ago. It was actually pretty easy.

I've got a 94.5 (First year for a Powerstroke - DI).....All parts cost a million dollars, they're not cheap to repair.....Injectors will run you $300 a piece.

If it was your Dad's baby, and you need a modern rig to pull the family camping and whatnot, It may be a no-brainer.

Yeah it's a tough decsion right now. My job is talking layoffs. I don't think I'm on the hit list but anything is possible plus I was really looking to make the jump to Dmax this time around but problem with buying used is I could end up with another POS like the Dodge was. Anything can be fixed and the Cummins is a good engine but when your already in the hole for alot of money then find out it needs major repairs , well. I can afford to take that hit again. The only Dmaxs I have found are on Used Car lots and a Dmax doesn't end up on a sleazy USed Car lot without a reason. dealers keep the good ones because they can get top dollar and there are very very few used ones through private sale and I will NEVER buy from a used car dealer ever again. They are all scumbags.

The local Tax Assesor said the truck is worth around 15,500. The Local Ford dealer who I know personally Said about 13K I was thinking of giving my mother the 13k for it. Atleast I know the truck has not been beat ever and the 2000 from what I have read everywhere was probably the best of the 7.3's. Yes the thought of injectors are scary but they don't seem to have a high failure rate and can be replaced indivdually if needed. It will probably need a tranny sooner than later. Ford trannys suck.

My brother down in San Antonio has the same truck. He bought it at 80k and now has around 250k on it. He tows heavy and light alot. He's had the trans rebuilt once and the injectors replaced once. No other major problems. It's all stock and he has a pretty light foot. I've been with him towing the 5th wheel TT from SA to Houston. It's kinda slow but I'm used to a Dmax so what do I know?...

Too bad she couldn't give you a family discount on it. Maybe $5K if it was your dad's, or just give it to you? The Ford's with the 7.3 are pretty good for a stock truck. Many construction companies have them with 300 to 400K on them and still going strong. And they are beat on! You should have good luck with that.

Looks like a good deal, Kenny, and I don't mean financially - I know you'll give your Mom what it's worth - but knowing the history on a used vehicle is priceless!

However, I feel somewhat obliged to point out that it ain't a 6.5TD... :D

Just like what the others have said, a 2000 7.3 with that few miles, and more importantly, knowing what the history of a used truck is invaluable. That really sucks that you got so freakin' deep in problems with the Cummins. But at least you live and learn. I looked at a couple PSD's last year when I bought my Cummins, and came very close to buying an '01 7.3 with about 88k on it. Ran good, was in good condition. I knew about the Ford trans and what I was looking to get into, but it was something I was willing to replace and upgrade. I got back to the dealer lot, and opened up the hood. There was 3/4" of fuel on top of the coolant. Bad head gasket. Guy told me they would get all fixed up and I just told him that it was nice of him, but he could sell it to someone else. So that you know how it was treated and even have had your hands on the engine, its a big, big plus. Good luck!

Yeah, I won't knock the Cummins per say I just don't think I should have had the amount of problems I did for the age and what I paid for the truck. I will right it off as being screwed by a scumbag used car dealer. Lee from Lee's Auto ranch and your service manager , I hope you both die horribly.

My 2000 250 psd with 125000 miles was 8000.00 but not lariat. I got 175000 miles on it now only an alternator and two batteries. It has never let me down.

My 2000 250 psd with 125000 miles was 8000.00 but not lariat. I got 175000 miles on it now only an alternator , two batteries and an A/C compressor. It has never let me down.

good to know...
========================================

Kenny,

I think you should get the truck...it will last a long time and will always bring back fond memories while making new ones...

yeah that elusive dmax that granny drove back and forth to the store to get groceries is tough to come by at a good price...you needed an lly or an LBZ anyway...$$$

Back