• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What could these codes mean?

Hill Top

Reaction score
I saw a 94 6.5TD truck for sale that is giving these 2 codes....

18 - pump cam reference pulse error
35- injection pulse width error time short
Has a new IP so what might these codes mean? Sign of major issue or no?

I saw a 94 6.5TD truck for sale that is giving these 2 codes....

18 - pump cam reference pulse error
35- injection pulse width error time short
Has a new IP so what might these codes mean? Sign of major issue or no?

Time for a new pump.

That is a take the pump back to the builder scenario most likely. Are you sure it is new not a reman?

Worst case is above. Figure that in price - replace entire injection system from and including fuel tank to injectors. Then start diag with grounds, air in fuel, and PMD.

I had those 2 codes; I cleared them from history, cleaned/reseated all my FSD connections, grounds, new fuel with a qt of 10-30, changed the PMD and never saw them again.

First cardinal sin: impatience. I did all that at once. That means I have no idea which one helped. D-oh.

Start with clearing codes. All of them, even the history codes.

Came back? Clear them again, police your connections.

Came back? Make sure your fuel is slippery enough. Etc.

The idea is to avoid changing the IP if possible. Always do the cheap stuff first.

Not timed correctly?
That's what I was thinking. NEVER assume that the PO or their mechanic installed the IP correctly, OR that the "new" IP was remanufactured correctly. The FIRST thing I would check is if the IP is correctly dead timed! If it's not, then the stepper motor can't properly compensate and you will get codes for pulse width and cam reference errors.

These two are usually from air in fuel, install clear line on return out of injection pump and observe after it's been running awhile.

Back