• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What are the threads on an OEM lift pump?

About a year ago I went to NAPA to get some fittings to adapt the fuel lines to a LP from a 5.9 Cummins. They said they didn't have them, couldn't get them...and it wouldn't work!

I went home, cut off the ends of the no good GM LP and welded them to the fitings that were in the Dodge pump (Carter). The spacing (overall length of the fabricated set up is exactly the same length as the stock LP.

At the same time I did this I replaced the sending unit and removed the sock and installed a strainer just before the LP.

I've been using it for a while with good pressure and no problems. What is considered inadaquate for the 5.9 is just fine for the 6.5.

Sorry about not getting back to this thread on friday. we didnt get back till real late on friday, driving for fuel economy never coincides with driving to make time! :) then I had to leave early to go to a farm sale and try and buy some stuff (unsuccessful, but still spent the whole day)

so anyways, after fueling up a few times, I am rather low on funds, so I think the final list for this time is:

1) boost bolt,
1) oil filter seal kit
2) of the special lift pump fittings you have for my auxillary tank project

PM me when you get this, and I will PM back my e-mail for paypal and my mailing adress. unless you want me to run it through the website, of course, whatever is good for you.

I am on dialup, so forgive me if it doesnt get paid right away. some days I get enough bandwidth to use paypal, some days not, it is real hit and miss. so therefore, dont ship till you get paid. I wouldnt want you to carry me that long.

thanks again Leroy! hopefully in the near future I can muster up enough for one (or two) fluidamprs. I just took the ol 91 out today, and 2800 RPM jaunts arent very easy on the nerves, and the new 93 needs one too, or injectors, something to smooth that ol girl out.

Not to steal any of PMD Cable's thunder but most any parts place can get the LP fittings in about a 4" length with a flared end for rubber lines.

Dorman part #800-170 is what I suspect is the proper fitting,I have bought them in the past but don't have any receipts handy to verify.

If your local parts house has them use a chev gasser fuel filter for something like a 90 c1500 with a 5.7l/350 to check fit or your stock LP.

Attachments

• dorman 800-170 fule line fitting.JPG
    dorman 800-170 fule line fitting.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 2
eh, 10 miles from a town with poor inventory, and 30 from a town with better inventory, It doesnt take to many gallons to make Leroys fittings the most affordable option.

I will probably get the regular pipe fittings for the new wix filter head locally, as even at the closer town, they keep common fittings.

I would expect them to be common fittings since they were used on a great many GM vehicles,but really just wanted to post the info for whomever might need it.

there must be an inventory tax in the closest town, the napa store can be packed up in a day, same with carquest. :)

thanks for posting the info though racer.

btw, is your truck chassis cab or pickup? if chassis cab, how is your diamond eye exhaust fitting up?

Cab and chassis,the exhaust fit much better than I expected.
With my wheel base the hangers were positioned so that the muffler was right at hanger locations if I positioned things such that I went from the downpipe to the mated bell pipe to the muffler and then used a piece of extension pipe from the muffler to tailpipe connection.

The hanger at the frt of the muffler does very little since it ends up with the rubber at 90 degrees to the hanger,the rear muffler hanger is good and I had to weld the stock tail pipe hanger to one of the extra clamps for it to do it's job-but it works quite well this way IMHO.

here is the link to the burb seats, for anyone who is interested. I messaged him, and he is pretty firm on the 300, citing punishment via wife if he doesnt get his money back out of it. http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/301177/

and leroy, I cant seem to get my e-mail to load, let alone paypal, so I will try again sometime tomorrow when I am on the road, and will stop in somewhere and grab some good wifi.

hey leroy, got the package quite a while ago,

I am changing oil today, and figured I might do the adapter, but after searching through some threads, I am not so sure if I need a large o-ring that seals at the block. did 93 not have that?

thanks!

got it done! called in to the local GM shop, and they suprisingly had it.

will the o-rings shrink a little? they seemed loose in the grooves on the bolt, and out of paranoya, I popped it in and out a few times before bolting it up, and it never hopped out of the groove, so I think it should be fine. I set the adapter up flush to the block, and threaded the bolt in from there, so hopefully with everything slicked up with oil, it should have stayed. I hope! If not, will there be any damage from the unseated o-rings, or will it just not filter as well?

Well not sure what to say about the fit on yours. I just checked mine, also a 93 and it fits correctly. You did order the adapter seal kit from me right? Did I not include the large Oring? If not LMK and I'll refund you for it.

yeah, I got the seal kit from you. I didnt get a large o-ring.

I see no need to refund now, just credit me, I will surely be buying soon enough! :) (up underneath is still getting oily, so I think the cooler lines are leaking at the crimp, and the Harmonic damper looks decent enough, but IDK if my eyes are telling me to get a Fluidampr or what, but I thought I saw a bulge)

thanks again!

and like I said, the fit shouldnt be a problem, shoving the bolt straight in should have knocked them off, and it didnt, so I doubt gliding in when the bolt threaded in dislodged them. I am typing this in nebraska, so nothing like a 300 mile shakedown run! :D

okay leroy, I got paid from grain harvest (in Kansas) so I have some $ to buy.

what is the current price on fluidamprs?

can you get a gear drive timing set, or do I need to go to kennedy for that? I am sure the chain is loose at a 1/4 million miles, so I think that might help the crappy starting, along with some injectors and GPs.

what about the water pump that heath uses, the legendary 88894035 (IIRC) I am thinking about re-doing the whole front of the motor while I am in there, strip it down and build it up. gear drive, Fluidampr, WP.

I am no good at saudering (spelling wrong, I know) so are you making a relay kit for the LP yet?

thanks!

The water pump Heath has, if I'm remembering correctly, is the same as the 2000 year model balanced flow GM pump. You should be able to source it locally. Check it out, don't depend on my memory.

If this is going on a dual thermostat motor you'll need to get the restrictor from Heath. I'm not aware of any other place to source it.

Don

going into the 93 K2500(HD) so it still is single t-stat. the pump seems to be more expensive that the 4 bolters.

the thing that bugs me, is that my 99 has the spin on clutch, but If I have the GM dealer run the VIN in the parts system (to narrow down the options) I get a number that doesnt match with the 88894035 pump on rock auto. something about an option code and "pull ahead design" is talked about on Rock Auto.

Back