• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Well, I stepped up to the plate and look what happened...........yet another project.

Gorgeous!

If I can make 2 little recommendations?

1. Balancer whether you think you need it or not!
2. Injectors tested and balanced.

You will thank me later!

Good looking 4x4. Whats the cable coming from/to console?
It's just my cell phone charger

No rear extended cab doors? did any of the diesels get that?
IIRC only the 1/2 tons got the doors on the extended cab on that bodystyle.
Yup, it's only a 1/2ton option in the GMT400 style, Devin and I confirmed it in the EPC.

Gorgeous!

If I can make 2 little recommendations?

1. Balancer whether you think you need it or not!
2. Injectors tested and balanced.

You will thank me later!
Yeah, Devin and I were talking about a fluid damper tonight, hadn't thought of getting the injectors tested but that would also be a good idea. I was also contemplating getting a set of rattlestops for the dash, since it isn't cracked at this point I figured I should keep it from happening. the 95+ dashes are just too weak in that area, but I've never seen a 88-94 that has cracked there. I think their dashes aren't as heavy...

Throw a nice 4" exhaust on there and you'll love rowing through the gears on that girl. I love rowing through the gears on my blazer, and that doesn't have turbo whistle....yet.

Also ditch that "turbo power" cover. It holds the heat in on top of the engine, which is bad for the PMD. That tube off the air intake that dead ends can be removed and the port plugged. That tube is nothing more than an air intake silencer tube.

Drop an Amsoil nano-fiber filter in that air box like buddy said. I run one in my 96 and love it. Being a 99 you already have the GM-8 turbo so the only upgrade would be something like the ATT, HX-35, HE351VE, etc.

ya, winter kinda quit on us a couple weeks ago. almost 50 degrees for a day or so, only snow left is in the mountains.

Throw a nice 4" exhaust on there and you'll love rowing through the gears on that girl. I love rowing through the gears on my blazer, and that doesn't have turbo whistle....yet.

Also ditch that "turbo power" cover. It holds the heat in on top of the engine, which is bad for the PMD. That tube off the air intake that dead ends can be removed and the port plugged. That tube is nothing more than an air intake silencer tube.

Drop an Amsoil nano-fiber filter in that air box like buddy said. I run one in my 96 and love it. Being a 99 you already have the GM-8 turbo so the only upgrade would be something like the ATT, HX-35, HE351VE, etc.
I actually like the turbo power engine covers on these, and seeing as our climate isn't ridiculously hot I'm probably going to leave it. The PMD was actually replaced about a year and half ago, and was relocated to a large 1/4" aluminum plate behind the engine cover. I'm not sure how well that setup works, but I'm thinking about fabbing up an extension harness and moving it to the grille/bumper area. I already planned to remove that intake silencer this weekend, just have to find something to plug it with. The truck has a newer wix airfilter in it, so that will stay for the time being. It does have the high capacity airbox as an RPO as well.

Cool man! She's a beauty!!! The only thing missing from your pictures is the snow!
ya, winter kinda quit on us a couple weeks ago. almost 50 degrees for a day or so, only snow left is in the mountains.
Your telling me. I have no idea what is with the weather, but i'm ok with it for this weekend so I can get the truck cleaned up.

IMO removing the Turbo Power cover because it holds heat is a mith anyway.
When I pluged my air filter silencer I found a galvanized fence post cap at Lowes. I has a nice flange on it that would make it tough to get sucked into the turbo even if the clamp loosened.

Hum, never thought of a fence post cap. I was thinking one of those rubber expanding plugs with the bolt on it would work.

Shortly I'll probably make a build log for it, and we can get some ideas going on what I can easily modify, etc.

Oh so fun to drive. I got to get behind the wheel last night and we ran a few errands before I played chauffeur and picked up another member of our dart team. I'm about 95% certain I would rather have that truck than my 07. I forgot how much I loved second-half GMT-400 trucks, I have more leg room and they just feel right.

Are you happy you finally bought a real truck?
One with 8 lugs and no spark plugs.

Sounds like your happy to be in the diesel brotherhood.

Just messin with ya, don't get all medieval on my hiney.

I'm having flashbacks of the go around on the other thread. Hope you enjoy your truck.:thumbsup:

Are you happy you finally bought a real truck?
One with 8 lugs and no spark plugs.

Sounds like your happy to be in the diesel brotherhood.

Just messin with ya, don't get all medieval on my hiney.

I'm having flashbacks of the go around on the other thread. Hope you enjoy your truck.:thumbsup:
Well, the only reason I bought it is so people wouldn't give me crap here anymore. No, really, I'm glad to have the truck. It's been a want for quite a long time. Once I bought the trailer the need for one was much more apparent. The 88 tows the trailer just fine, it's just a little slow on steeper grades and gets about 8MPG doing it.

I've always loved the 6.5L trucks, and the GMT400 bodystyle. I was debating on waiting till the fall when I'm done with school and getting a used Duramax instead, but honestly I'd rather have this. The price was so low there was no question about it, and not having huge payments on it means I can maintain and modify it much easier.

Just don't get to sucked in.

First you'll go trhough all the reliability issues ie: a g note, and then before you know it your modding for performance, a couple G's atleast.

Welcome to the addiction that's harder to kick than crack, not that I know personally, but so I've heard.

I'll talk to you later my pipe is calling me, Oh wait I meant my 6.5 is calling me.

Enjoy the the new heaven and hell of owning a 6.5.:eek::agreed: :rof::rof:

How does it drive compared to the 88 Gasser?

And compared to the 07 Dmax?

As far as the modding comment whatever you buy is gonna get modded, be it a 5k$ truck or a 25$k truck... Mod away. :)

Aside from the obvious size differences between the 88 and the 99, they really are similar transmission/clutch wise, and IMO the low end grunt is about the same since the 88 has lower overall gearing, but the 99 definitely has more power, particularly when it's booted up.

Comparing it to a duramax is just....... meh. There isn't a point. The duramax is far more powerful and much quicker. I do think that the seats in both my 88 and 99 (the 88 has seats from a 98) are more comfortable than my 02 or devin's 07.

Back