• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Well, I stepped up to the plate and look what happened...........yet another project.

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
I have yet another project. This one is pretty sweet.

IMG_20110201_170235.jpg

IMG_20110201_170251.jpg

Sorry for the crap cell picts, it was getting dark. Anyway, as some of you know I've been looking for a 6.5L to tow my trailer with. I've been picky and demanded finding a 5-speed truck. Originally I was looking for a 92-93 with the mechanical pump, but after finding this one for the price and miles I just couldn't pass it up.

It's a 99 6.5L K2500, Ex cab, Longbox, 5-speed, and has 146k on it. It's an LS model, loaded with the normal power options, grey cloth with buckets. It's been maintained well and overall is pretty darn clean. It has a few nicks and dings from being used as a normal pickup. The only real damage that I'll be trying to fix up is 2 dents in the hood corners above the hinges (like someone pushed the hood too far up).

So anyway, tomorrow I shall be picking it up as long as the stuff with the bank goes through. The truck is going to be cleaned up, and used as a towpig for the trailer.

I have yet another project. This one is pretty sweet.

The only real damage that I'll be trying to fix up is 2 dents in the hood corners above the hinges (like someone pushed the hood too far up).

Sounds like you found a real good pickup. Nice!!

These "dents" are caused by the hood not being properly closed so that not even the safety latch is hooked. Then you start driving and suddenly "whooomp" the hood blocks your forward vision. This creates a huge air dam, warping the corners of the hood, while you are driving down the street while other vehicles are surrounding you.

Experience is a great teacher, don't ask how I know. Ruined a good hood.

If you sight down the outside edge of the hood, looking from the front towards the windshield, you'll also see a bend there just in front of the hinge.

Don

Sounds like you found a real good pickup. Nice!!

These "dents" are caused by the hood not being properly closed so that not even the safety latch is hooked. Then you start driving and suddenly "whooomp" the hood blocks your forward vision. This creates a huge air dam, warping the corners of the hood, while you are driving down the street while other vehicles are surrounding you.

Experience is a great teacher, don't ask how I know. Ruined a good hood.

If you sight down the outside edge of the hood, looking from the front towards the windshield, you'll also see a bend there just in front of the hinge.

Don
That is one thing I had thought may have happened, I'm going to try removing the dents with a suction puller, if not get a new hood.

Nice rig...........Good luck......and Welcome to the Dinosaur diesel world!:thumbsup:

Whats a 99 6.5 going for in WA.
Well, this one was well under bluebook, it is 5k.

congratulations on getting a five speed! fuel economy, no worries about tcc lockup, cheap rebuilds etc. it is a win win!

congratulations on getting a five speed! fuel economy, no worries about tcc lockup, cheap rebuilds etc. it is a win win!

x2 on the economy! My 93 Dually has gotten 16mpg 3 times now MIXED driving ~75% highway. My Z71 gets ~18-19 same driving so I would say 16 is damn good.

Looks like a real nice truck is it 4x4?

x2 on the economy! My 93 Dually has gotten 16mpg 3 times now MIXED driving ~75% highway. My Z71 gets ~18-19 same driving so I would say 16 is damn good.

Looks like a real nice truck is it 4x4?
Yeah, i'm hoping to get decent mileage from it, particularly when towing. Right now i'm getting 8-9 with my 88 and it's just too expensive. Yes it's 4wd and it has 3.73s as well, very glad it doesn't have 4.10s in it.

you crack me up. This project doesn't appear to be a very big one though. Good score on the truck. Is it FF or SF rear axle?

It's a FF with a G80. And really, it's not a big project. Clean it up, do a few small things to it and use it as the towpig.

It's a FF with a G80. And really, it's not a big project. Clean it up, do a few small things to it and use it as the towpig.

Timing is everything and you seem to have scored. As for the "do a few small things" etc, be sure to have a can of "good idea fairy" repellant handy.

Enjoy the new ride though.

That looks nice. Does this one have a 9 blade steel fan and spin on fan clutch? A late 99 or a 2000 with the good cooling setup already would be nice. You may want to just put the restrictor on the water pump return fitting that allows coolant to bypass the radiator, because of the dual T-stat bypass setup.

A decent exhaust setup, and a PCM reflash and this thing will be treating you right. Amsoil nano-filter when you need one. And maybe the 3" PVC elbow intake mod, since its really cheap.

Timing is everything and you seem to have scored. As for the "do a few small things" etc, be sure to have a can of "good idea fairy" repellant handy.

Enjoy the new ride though.
Heh, I know how the modding bug can be. I'm going to try and keep it simple for the time being, well, maybe use part of my tax return but yeah.....

That looks nice. Does this one have a 9 blade steel fan and spin on fan clutch? A late 99 or a 2000 with the good cooling setup already would be nice. You may want to just put the restrictor on the water pump return fitting that allows coolant to bypass the radiator, because of the dual T-stat bypass setup.

A decent exhaust setup, and a PCM reflash and this thing will be treating you right. Amsoil nano-filter when you need one. And maybe the 3" PVC elbow intake mod, since its really cheap.
Well, I'll have to look at the fan, and you guys will have to tell me more about this bypass thing. As far as performance mods, once the truck is cleaned up and the hood is fixed, the next step is exhaust and PCM.

HAHAHAHAHA! Awesome! He just texted me that after driving it from Spokane, WA to Colfax, WA...that is all highway.
And shortly, you will get to drive it.

---------------------------

Alright guys, everything is said and done, and she's in my driveway.

P1110158.jpg

P1110159.jpg

P1110160.jpg

P1110161.jpg

P1110162.jpg

P1110163.jpg

P1110164.jpg

P1110165.jpg

P1110166.jpg

And the stars of the show
P1110167.jpg

P1110168.jpg

Just drove it back from Spokane Wa to my place, got 22MPG with it going 65MPH. The truck runs great, idles nice and smooth, is quiet and builds nice power. I was enjoying myself so much that I had to move the pass mirror down to watch what puffs of smoke it had to show when getting into the throttle.

Anyway, the next step is to clean the thing up. It needs a good wash and carpet shampoo. After that comes tires, a stereo and new hood. I'm going to swap the towing mirrors off the 88 onto it, and probably pickup cablights at some point.

Back