• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Welding

I also heard tell that welders like it on the bottom, so they can F__ UP...

Talked to my son-in-law (the welder) about this topic today; he confirmed everything that has been said here, also that 'uphand' lets you keep the arc on virgin steel where 'downhand' left you welding the puddle and praying for penetration. His terms... said you can't control or anticipate penetration 'downhand'.

I asked why the guys I had seen liked to downhand the root pass with sched 125 and 40 pipe, he said it was faster, easier, and the finish pass would dig it all up, anyway. Finish pass is uphand.

I said Oh. Changed topic before he got too comfortable being the only one that knew what he was talking about. :)

Actually on pipe with a sharp edge on the bevel, zero root, multiple pass down hand, the weld "can" be stronger more ductile etc. than an up hand weld. This is due to "multiple" passes which produce less heat input, which will affect the surrounding metal, producing a finer metal structure. That is from the welding books. That being said I'll weld up hand any time. Leo

Back