• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Welding

Disconnect the battery grounds and you should be fine. Leo
  • Keep your ground clamp as close to the work area as possible, what are you welding?

Last edited:
Good advice, ground directly to the piece being welded to prevent a possible ground loop through an electrical circuit.

In general keep all welds horizontal on frames if possible, if not try to figure out a way to by using a gusset, plate, ect.. Think about how the stresses are being applied to the area being welded and try not to put a weld that cuts the structural beam in half, ensted weld with the channel.

What are you welding? Any pics?

Yep you got it covered as for the keeping weld hoizantal that is also correct if you need to weld vertically it is a pain in the ass but you should run an verticle up, if it supporting any kind of weight. Never ever push or run a down that is very unsafe the penitration is very limited that way and it will break there is no such thing as a good verticle down weld.

just pull that bat, grounds and weld away!!!....done a lot of weldin' on the burb and the PCM didn't care a bit!!!

Having welded for 45 yrs, and if you disconnect the battery you should be fine. We build 500K fire rescue trucks and use a battery cable surge protector device and never lost one yet. X2 on welding vertical down. DONT do it if possible if you are not a very good welder. They can be a good weld but you need to prepare it well and know what to be doing Good luck on your job

Are you guys saying welding in an upward directions is alot weaker than a welding in a downward direction? (using gravity to help the tool?)

Intersting, and intriguing, can someone explain why this is?

Generally speaking vert. up is considered a stronger weld, better penetration etc. Although some pipeline welding is done vert. down, it's quicker and works well on thin walled pipe.

Are you guys saying welding in an upward directions is alot weaker than a welding in a downward direction? (using gravity to help the tool?)

Intersting, and intriguing, can someone explain why this is?

They are saying vertical up welding, starting at the bottom and running the bead to the top, is stronger than starting at the top and running the bead to the bottom.

When you start at the bottom and go up you will have less of a problem of having slag flow into the weld.

Take a piece of scrap and try it. Watch the flow of metal going up and going down.

I welded my back blade on my plow vertical down when it snapped. It's a lot stronger now than before. It only lasted the first two driveways. After several more and backdragging down hill on a frozen gravel driveway I broke it in nearly the same spot on the opposite end of the back blade, almost a mirror image. That one I took the back blade right off.
It probably helped somewhat that I pre-heated the piece with an O/A torch just so I could try and get better penetration.

As a structure steal weldr back in the states it was a common knowledge that you never ever weld a verticle down, the penitration is nearly non exsistant. If we where welding on pipes we did weld down, but we always used a I beleive it was a 7022? rod don't quote me it has been a while, for the root pass and flux miged the filler passes.

But if I am doing any welding that I know will be beat on if I can't weld a flat I will only weld a verticle up. It is fairly similar in technique to an over head weld, just a bit slower we are typically runnin a 70 series rod 7018 is the most popular for my shop.

Sparky,

Stick, acetylene, MIG and TIG. The principle is the same regarding proper penetration. When welding from the bottom up, the flow of metal is running into itself and away from arc point (not the same jaron when using acetylene, but the principle is the same). It promotes a more complete and thorough penetration of the bead. Running from the top down your flow of molten metal is running INTO the arc, which detracts from penetration. At least this is how the man who taught me everything I know about welding explained it to me.

He also used to pose the following question on a regular basis: Why do welders make such good lovers?

:D

If we where welding on pipes we did weld down, but we always used a I beleive it was a 7022?

The irrigation company before switching to .035 MIG used 6010 for pipe, it has a red flux and is designed specifically for pipe welding. This was used on 10 Ga, 3/16", & 1/4" thick pipe.

We where doin 3/4 and 1'' schedule 80 I beleive not sure though I am primarily a structure rat. When I am doin pipe fenceing I will use 6010 6013 or 7018 depending on what I am weldin on.

He also used to pose the following question on a regular basis: Why do welders make such good lovers?

:D

I wont answer that question question but will throw out that I was always told that welders were like a whore, they always wanted more money, longer rods and more heat!

Back