• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

weird ticking noise for first ten minutes or so after starting....

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
I don't know if me and "search" just don't get along but I could have sworn I read here about the lbz getting a strange ticking sound. Can't find it now though....anyway a couple of weeks ago my lbz starting this weird faint ticking sound after startup - mostly in the morning when cold but not always, there has been a couple of times the wife and I would stop to eat somewhere and when I came back out it would do the same thing. Sounds almost identical to a gasser engine with a couple of bad plug wires arching....no real, consistent rhythm to it.

any ideas?

Thanks
Smitty

The typewriter tick usually occurs just after or just before an oil change. I used to notice it more when the truck was new, but now since the mileage gets higher, not as much. I do not feel that it is anything to worry about, but it is annoying.

What oil filter you using? If air has anything to do with it as claimed a bad drain-back valve, Fram anyone?, could make it worse.

I used WIX filters for awhile and had the typewriter tick BAD! Swithced over to the cheapos from AZ(STP brand) and haven't heard it since. I also started using the 5W40 ROTYELLA synthetic at the same time so that could have been it.

hmmm, I use wix filters. I did however switch from Mystic synthetic blend to Motorcraft (mineral based) 15w40 not long before I started hearing this noise.....and my fuel mileage dropped off by 1 mpg........and yeah, it sounds just like a old striker typewriter.
OK, not going to worry about it then. Truck is still running strong and I was getting 19mpg running back and forth to work....like mentioned above that has dropped to 17.8-18. I'm gonna switch back to mystic on the next oil change and see what happens.

Thanks guys

Maybe try Amsoil and an EaO filter. Couple of members here that will get you a good deal on some. I've never heard the tick ever, and we've run Amsoil since 40k, Delvac before that. I've never had issues with Wix oil filters, but sometimes filters can be too good. ;)

Back