• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Weight limit on the 2500HD Hitch

Lazydog

Recruit
Reaction score
Title says it all. What is the weight limit on the factory install hitch? What can i look at towing safely with a factory setup and break controller?

I couldn't tell you the weight limit, but I remember a lot of people having issues with the stock hitch breaking of after so long. I also hear a lot of guys going out and spending the money on a decent class IV or V hitch. I have bought most of my trailer stuck from this place.
http://www.etrailer.com/

I think it is rated at 12K w/a distribution hitch, but I would not trust it. As stated above it is a big weak P O S. I have seen several pics of them twisted like a pretzel. I wouldn't go over 7500 lbs myself.

I've been known to push the limits on my truck quite a bit in terms of overloading stuff..... I put over 10k on a non weight distributing hitch with over 1k tongue weight and it held up. Since then I have upgraded to a class V titan. Definitely worth the money if you tow regularly or heavy bumper pulls.

JMO

Kyle

I've towed over 10K several times with mine. Almost every weekend last year. Were the people having problems also those that use them in pulling competitions?

No competition here...just a 10k trailer with a weight distribution hitch...damn near twisted it right off the truck. Got me a good class v and it's on my second truck. When I picked up the truck I currently have, I made them take the stocker off.

Holy crap. I've never used any kind of weight distribution hitch. And I'm not really being that easy on it. It puts a smile on my face when I step on it and its pulling better than some of these trucks and suvs pulling a little trailer with a couple wheelers. I forgot I even had it on there once and hit it a little too hard and roasted the tires. This shit scares me now. I wish I was still ignorant too it. I would rather not be worrying about it all the time.

I've towed over 10K several times with mine. Almost every weekend last year. Were the people having problems also those that use them in pulling competitions?

The people that I have seen with issues haven't used it for comp. They were towing for recreation. ie travel trailers, big 5th wheels, etc......

Thnx everyone. This is the reason I asked as I don't want to start pulling and something break. I remember reading on some other forums that they say you should swap out the stock hitch. As with everything, when it breaks and you need something it is going to be anywhere close.

I responded to a crash the other day that involved a 2500HD with a flatbed trailer loaded with construction signs (flagging company). It was stopped and in park on the side of the road while they were putting up signs. It was rear ended by a car going around 55-60 mph. The impact moved the truck/trailer forward a little over 3 feet.

The trailer had some tongue damage, the rear bumper of the truck had some damage due to the trailer being shoved into it, the stinger was bent down 90 degrees, and the hitch.....survived without a dent.

I took the opportunity to crawl under the truck while we were waiting for the tow and took a good long look at all the welds and framing for the hitch. I couldn't find any indications of cracks in the welds anywhere.

As a side note I was really impressed with the stinger weld quality. The impact literally bent the stinger downright at the weld where the square tube and flat drop section are connected. The weld held w/o any cracking. The metal around it was what bent.

Maybe that hitch was made on a Tuesday or Wednesday :)

Ok, has anyone seen any newer hitches fail? I'm talking 06 or newer?
What year were the hitches that everyone is talking about failing?

06 was the worst year for hitch failures. 85% of all hitch failures on these trucks (01-07.5)were 06 model year vehicles.

Just kidding.:D

I have pulled 16k w/ very little tongue weight, and the factory hitch has held fine, but i have had dreams about it coming off and having to stop it w/ the tailgate or something, and now those are going to be worse. What is the best one to upgrade to? What about a Brute II bumper/hitch, how good are they?

I have pulled 16k w/ very little tongue weight, and the factory hitch has held fine, but i have had dreams about it coming off and having to stop it w/ the tailgate or something, and now those are going to be worse. What is the best one to upgrade to? What about a Brute II bumper/hitch, how good are they?
Careful doing that, you'll have the tail wagging the dog.

Not having any weight on the tongue and it all in the back is what he means

My toy hauler is right around 12.5K loaded with a tongue weight of 1550. I run an Equal-i-zer ( actual company name ) and have had no issues so far. I don't think my hitch is a factory hitch tho. I am seriously considering bagging the rear as it seems a bit soft when hauling the trailer and hitting certain dips in the rd.

Well, there is weight there, just not much, for 16k of water
From what you said in this thread, it seemed like you were saying there was not much tongue weight. Like it appears here in this post as well. In another thread you said that it was a water tank trailer. If it's not a homebrew I'm sure it's designed properly. You should have 10-15% of the weight on the tongue. So if it's 16k, then you should have about 1600-2400lbs of tongue weight.

Back