• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Waterpump

oscar80

Reaction score
My waterpump is leaking so I took it in to get it replaced at the dealership under an aftermarket 3rd party warranty. The warranty company is willing to pay but the dealer is saying 6.0 hours instead of the 4.9 the warranty company says. Then they say they gotta take the thermostats out and I need to replace when they do that. Are they that hard to replace later and do they need to come out in the first place.

Here is a list of GM parts they said they need to do the job.

Plus the water pump and the other Tstat

Dave

I have the same trouble right now my pump is leaking and one of the bolts is behind the balancer. So that has to come off! what fun on my LB7 i can get to my pump without messing with the thermostat housing. It will take you a good afternoon I have yet to do mine.

My waterpump is leaking so I took it in to get it replaced at the dealership under an aftermarket 3rd party warranty. The warranty company is willing to pay but the dealer is saying 6.0 hours instead of the 4.9 the warranty company says. Then they say they gotta take the thermostats out and I need to replace when they do that. Are they that hard to replace later and do they need to come out in the first place.

Dave

Dave, did you ever get anything figured out?

Dave

well to ask if it is that much trouble it depends on your view and ability,,, when i bought my truck it had the green anti-freeze in it and i wanted to use the orange, flushed the green and noticed light gray "chunks" in the flushing water, loaded the orange in it and bam leak at the pump.( the previous owner put stop leak in the radiator then traded it in)
I thought how hard can it be I work on my 93 TA water pump not a issue to replace and it was cam driven too, So to make it a shorter story here i started on my Duramax water pump on Friday (never owned a diesel b4 the one I have now) finished it after 13 hours of work, now after replacing the CP3 pump 2 weeks later i learned I can do the water pump in less than 4 hours knowing what i HAVE to take off and what i don't, and to warn you I am no mechanic i am just cautious that is why the lengthy time for the first replacement.

Yeap I actually found a good place in town that worked on it under my aftermarket warranty and didnt charge me a dime over the deductible. So I am happy and my truck is happy. I will never set foot in the GM dealer in Sanford NC, Wilkinson Chevy again :)

Dave

some dealers like to exxagerate. Looking at the motor sitting in my shop and looking through my manuals, the balancer does need to come off to get to one of the 3 bolts. Bad design IMO

some dealers like to exxagerate. Looking at the motor sitting in my shop and looking through my manuals, the balancer does need to come off to get to one of the 3 bolts. Bad design IMO

Yeah It's a royal PITA too. Especially since the balancer bolt torques to like 278ft lbs IIRC. I've broken 2 breaker bars on one truck, eded up having to usea boxed end wrench and a engine hoist to get the damn bolt broke loose.:doh:

i got a nice ingersoll rand titanium. its got balls.

otherwise im assuming i would have to bolt up a flywheel and use the flywheel hold tool to keep it from spinning correct??

The IR2135Ti? Thats the one I've got and yes its got Big Ones!:D 1100ft lbs breaking torque:beer:

Yes, there's a holding fixture that bolts up in place of the starter to hold the crankshaft. Thats what i use.

ya its a nice gun, it didnt take anything to zip that bolt off.

a local dealer was nice enough to forget about their flywheel hold tool and left it in my buddies truck. I may return it to them when I am done with it. so in a few years or so.

with a good breaker bar against frame rail JUST "CLICK" THE KEY, NOT CRANK OVER. Bolt will break lose. Did mine w/stat in just under 4 hrs. with air tools.

Back