• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water Wetter

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
I would like to try some of this to see if it helps with my cooling while cruising with Plow problem.

I have doubts that if I just add it into the resevoir that it will actually get into my system.

With the radiator cap on the resevoir bucket, What is the easiest / cleanest way to get it into the radiator/block?

Your sig says twin stats. Have you upgraded your fan? For thermal exchange to occur, I'd think improving airflow would be more effective than increasing the surface area of your coolant at the molecular level. Technically, you get wetter quicker going swimming in the ocean rather than a lake but it's impossible to note the difference. On the other hand, the weather liar regularly tries to horrify me with wind chill forecasts...like I don't own a coat or something.

Chrisk1500,

You want to hear something funny? I gave a quick glance at this page and thought, "That's weird. How could I have so many more posts than him. He's on this."

I then realized I was looking at member numbers. Glasses. Glasses. Glasses.

I put WW in my LLY D-max and it helped with the cooling, I pulled the upper rad hose, let some coolant run out,then poured it in there.

Your sig says twin stats. Have you upgraded your fan? For thermal exchange to occur, I'd think improving airflow would be more effective than increasing the surface area of your coolant at the molecular level. Technically, you get wetter quicker going swimming in the ocean rather than a lake but it's impossible to note the difference. On the other hand, the weather liar regularly tries to horrify me with wind chill forecasts...like I don't own a coat or something.

Fan works fine when its on. I replaced the clutch with OEM, which kicks on right at or a tad above 210 sometimes. But I feel that is too hot for me. I only have cooling issue with plow on, so its tolerable/almost avoidable. Just annoying.

I don't think Watter Wetter will solve my problem, but I don't think it would hurt either.

Matt shed about 4000# off your rig, :D, I know can't put your truck on a diet and drop some #

WW may help but you really need to consider an aux trans cooler with electric fan as I said before, your GM provided trans, oil ,and rad are counting on flow across the heat exchangers, idling, plowing, slow driving the fan alone isn't going to pull required air thru rad especially if dirty or fins are compromised, clutch is bad, or you have wrong/bad stats. I got mine at Jegs 25K rated one with temp switch control, reducing trans heat saves the trans plus less heat for rest of regular rad to deal with since trans fluid is still going thru the end of the rad, I never see more than 200F trans even on hottest days of summer pulling my backhoe, and always less than 210F on coolant temp with Dex cool/water alone.

Just for grins you mite wanna pop them stats in pot of boiling water, since it boils at 212F-ish (depending on altitude) opening before the water boils give rough idea they are opening properly, if you have a candy thermometer you get more precise measurement or an IR temp gun, or DVM temp probe. (make sure the boss ain't looking, mine don't like me boiling parts on her stove, heat expanding them in the oven, or cold shrinking parts in the freezer, especially after she found a wheel bearing seal a year after "I lost it" and had to go buy a new one to finish the job :eek: )

Attachments

• 259-13700.jpg
    259-13700.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Matt shed about 4000# off your rig, :D, I know can't put your truck on a diet and drop some #

WW may help but you really need to consider an aux trans cooler with electric fan as I said before, your GM provided trans, oil ,and rad are counting on flow across the heat exchangers, idling, plowing, slow driving the fan alone isn't going to pull required air thru rad especially if dirty or fins are compromised, clutch is bad, or you have wrong/bad stats. I got mine at Jegs 25K rated one with temp switch control, reducing trans heat saves the rans plus less heat for rest of regular rad to deal with since trans fluid is still going thru the end of the rad

You bring up a very good point about the rest of the coolers up there. I never really thought about the temps on those must be rocketing also.

Perhaps an electric fan (I heard Volvo fans from junkyards are good) on a relayed toggle may be my best bet. Just ziptie it to the grill for the winter months. can use it when I have plow on, may act like a weatherfront when I dont.

Why have to remember stuff, try the remote cooler IIRC about $150, mount someplace where it doesn't get all slushy or packed with ice, mine is under the bed but probably not best for yours, I don't have cold yuck to deal with, then let the stat switch regulate trans temp, I plumbed mine into the return circuit, switch is set for 180F, and I monitor pan temp, also have deep trans pan for extra 3.75 qts trans, with plumbing and deep pan IIRC I'm about 22qt system now for the trans.

Is there much difference in the Heath and SSDS fan and clutch? Other than price.

Water Wetter is only supposed to be added to water right? Does it work as anti-freeze too? Because if added with anti-freeze I think its effectiveness is diminished anyway.

I don't know I've never run a SSD, I did run a Kennedy one for a while it cooled better than OEM, but IMO stayed engaged too long and robbed power & mpg, based on data I saw on my "brick" so I shifted to Heath's.

I'm using water wetter + regular green coolant mix, it does a good job, at least as good or even better than the Dexcool---- and really cheaper.
I have at the moment the Kennedy clutch and 9 metallic blade, and I will swap to Heath clutch plus D-max composite blade--- as soon as the guys from fedex will find the time to give me the stuff they received this tuesday---:toetap05:

Or if your cooler isnt really huge, some 120mm computer fans should be good. I've got like 5 laying around and I'll probably use a couple on a rail cooler or two. They also make some larger like 140mm what not case fans. All 12V of course.

keep in mind WW improves the thermal transfer of the water, not antifreeze. I run 30/70 so no improvement I found. I second TD's idea of a second cooler, my tranny temps have dropped 25 degrees with no aux fan. you should see it drop when tcc kicks in.

Attachments

• 0201091233b.jpg
    0201091233b.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 21
Back