• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water pump recommendations

I never bothered to but I think I still have them. I guess part of why I didn't was none of my builds ever get hot, never, this goes for others that sent stuff here for mods and coatings and they assembled, all report the same thing. Now keep in mind I do things others don't consider, runner coating, fill the egr passage with aluminum, full chamber coating, short fill the block, etc so it's not really a even comparison to a motor that doesn't have any of the above.

Short filling the block is a serious affected flow alteration. That in itself could negate the difference in water pump flow disturbances.

All the coatings- I never realized until Chris brought it up on this forum that there are people out there who understand it and deny it’s effectiveness.
ESPECIALLY the 6.5 crowd who have a factory coating on the pushrods! Haha.

Maybe it’s because there is so many people in the race world here in the southwest, and sema being here, that it is basically common knowledge how effective it is.

Seeing it here being argued- I was astonished. So I thought I would help the hummer community that doesn’t come to this forum and started mentioning it there in case people there didn’t know about it also. Outright arguments that had people sending hate messages and quitting the forum when I shared documented evidence in group pm’s.

People fought it like their daddy gets paid for raw metals being used! Haha.
I just don’t get it.

I don't recall which thread it was but I think it was @WarWagon that did some testing on this in a fleet of trucks back in the day. iinm the winner was the 99+ WP from GM that has the spin on style pulley.

Not me. I used a new, not rebuilt, HO 4 bolt. Bosch I think. I then removed the #1 heat problem the GMx Asthma Attack. Followed by a KD low temp calibration fan clutch.

I sort of don't recall: the passages in the pump by the impeller were larger for the passenger side or just larger than the low output pump.

I never bothered to but I think I still have them. I guess part of why I didn't was none of my builds ever get hot, never, this goes for others that sent stuff here for mods and coatings and they assembled, all report the same thing. Now keep in mind I do things others don't consider, runner coating, fill the egr passage with aluminum, full chamber coating, short fill the block, etc so it's not really a even comparison to a motor that doesn't have any of the above.

Pay VERY Close Attention to what TSP says here. How else does this damn much heat get into the cooling system in the first place? Yeah solutions offered for that.

I thought someone had done some flow testing on various pumps at one time.

I know this is probably a dumb question but the term "short filling a block" went way over my head!! what is this and how does it help things for our engines?

They're talking about

Coatings keeping the heat out ...

I thought someone had done some flow testing on various pumps at one time.

Original article going above and beyond this one may be out there somewhere, but, the 2009 link is broken.

Heath Diesel sold out and prior to that couldn't get their heads out of their a$$ over a better turbo, any better turbo. At least the cooling system guide for better HO water pump only helped. I am still in awe it took the 6.5 community as long as it did to figure out simple stuff aka the damn turbo when other engines are running twins etc.

Even the fan coming on at a lower temp to keep the ring temper ruined peak temps at or below 210 is a hot debate. :facepalm: Some interesting EV clutch ideas in use now though.

Hummers don't get a better turbo kit offered: at that level of cash they kick the 6.5TD to the curb and drop in something else.

Last edited:
This article seems to support the spin on type pump as a superior design.

I still wish there was some rebuke of the original Balance Flow kit in writing. There was a nod to it in the beginning of this article, as well as the multiple temp probes, but no direct mention and no mention of it not actually performing as sold to do. Just crickets...

I found this on DP site. not sure if some of the info might point to the letter from the engineer or not.

also I have had this site in my slew of bookmarks, I don't know who created this site though.

Attachments

• Heaths 6-5 Cooling upgrade.pdf
    239.3 KB · Views: 4
I think you're right, AK, but he puts it in one place, which is an advantage for someone like me who has been hit or miss over the years on the site. Then when a problem arises, a bunch of time is spent searching out information to get an answer rather than be the guy which asks the same question for the hundredth time.

Fortunately for all of us, the guys on this site are really resilient and willing to be patient and refraining from belittlement when someone simply doesn't know the answer.

Yer talking about if someone would- but we did and did it years ago. Gm tried every configuration conceivable using the rear head ports and heater hose routing. Some folks figure they just wanted to spend beyond ten million bucks just for fun. Chris has a descent theory they swapped just for the speed of assembly line but it doesn’t account for the plumbing alternations, all the different thermostat crossovers tried, etc.

On the mock up- i mentioned i did it already.

Bill heath said he ran tests on a few different ones- i tried two and they were identical. I remember asking here which was the one Heath mentioned bought it specifically.
I'm getting a bit lost about the various water pumps. I always thought the 1997 and on water pump was the 130 gpm pump and was the best one to buy. Can someone explain the various pumps? "Balanced flow", "spin on", and "H.O." get me confused. It is all very interesting though.

One point, using the heater hose at the back of the right head for flow wouldn't work if you also run it to the heater core as it is throttled (flow control valve).

Just put a new pump on my 95 with an expensive Mishimoto radiator, a front transmission cooler deleat, and twin oil coolers and AN-10 hoses. Looking to keep coolant and engine oil cool towing heavy.

Back