• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Water in tank

Kunjanlama

Reaction score
Hello I have a water in tank problem and I think it is making my truck to drive rough. I have 1988 6.2l chevy p30 step van. I tried to drain the water but I could find how to drain the fuel or water. I saw one where you drain water from fuel tank but my truck starts and fuel dont come. Can anyone please tell me how to drain fuel or water from truck and where the valve is located. I couldn't find the valve or fuel tank draining place.

I think your best option is to drop the tank and drain it that way. That way you know that you got all the water out of the tank and then run the fuel lines in a jug of diesel and run the van for a little bit so you run the water out of the injection pump and injectors

If I'm feeling really lazy I jack the truck up in such a way to get a corner of the tank low and then drill a small hole and have at the ready a metal roofing screw ready (they have a gasket) then zap the screw in when the water is gone. Nice thing is you have a built in water drain. Start with the smaller roofing screws and then if you need to you can use a bigger one.

the drain valve is usually somewhere near where the front of the leaf spring is attached.
It's actually a siphon valve so you have to hook a hose onto it and then use suction to get fuel through and then drop below the level of the tank to get a siphon going. I had to blow some air into mine first to clear the crud from the line. (remove fuel cap first)

Back