• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Watch "Trouble starting 6.5L chevy 1500" on YouTube

Codie

Reaction score
Trouble starting 6.5L chevy 1500:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Well u know any other way to get it uploaded really want u to watch it to see if I need glow plugs injectors

http://Trouble starting 6.5L chevy 1500:

Last edited:
Test each glow plug, pull, ground body of it to batt and positive to tip should glow in 5 to 8 sec easy only 20 minutes of your day, if you have 200000 miles you need injectors not to say that's starting issue but you won't regret it

Ok I sm the second owner of both my 6.5s. Far as I know they have never had injectors replaced. Will do that soon also if my turbo is leaking air where it bolts up to bracket. Is there a gasket in there that has gone bad.

ec04854e87d1702c93e05179c70f20c4.jpg

My 95 6.5L

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421992383173.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421992383173.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
Watched your video I put a horn button to siloid, to manual control glow plug circuit, I use a ford one like ford uses to fire there starters, can be found in any junk yard, your light cycled fast meaning not enough time on glow plugs, watch video of veggie guy he hold glow plugs for ten seconds, I usually do 8 sec, like I said pull your glow plugs and test them one by one you will see what time it actually takes to make them hot, I'm in Alaska I need every help I can get to fire my rigs up, yes gasket under turbo to exhaust manifold

Ok I hope I get to it tomorrow. I got new plugs got to put them in. Is there a certain way to take the studs that hold the turbo down. Mine has studs not bolts

Stix88

The manual override for gp is a great idea. Just make sure your plugs are bosch duraterms 80034 or AC Delco 60g. There is no other self limiting glow plug that fits this engine, and too much heat on a non limiting one will burn the tip off in the cylinder and ruin piston;head;etc.

Ok I will see what O'Riley's sold me can't remember bought them a week ago

Stix88

Ok so checked lift pump today working fine. Listened to my other 6.5 today starting and realized how much faster it turns over than my other one. Going to try and pull starter tomorrow test it and most likely get a new one. Still going to change glow plugs in it. If that doesn't fix it then next thing I will be changing out injectors.

Stix88

How is the condition of your battery cables on the slow cranking truck? I don't recall anyone asking. Mine didn't crank fast till I got Raceday's cables. Old oem ones can cause slow cranking. If this was mentioned already, sorry.

They are old thought about replacing those as well what's a good site to get a good quality set

Stix88

In the vendors section PTwiringsolutions. The quality is is awesome, as is his upgraded glow harness. They are not inexpensive, but worth every penny. It will scare you how fast truck cranks the first time you crank it. I got both items and I can start the truck in really cold weather without block heater, the truck will white smoke and a little unhappy about it. Before upgrade it would no start as oem glow wires and batt cables are crap compared to his. Again worth every penny.

Back