• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Was out having a bit of fun (video)

Was that the tires spinning in 2nd or the clutch slipping?

4 High will eliminate the wheel spin issue... So you will know if it's the clutch.

If anybody was curious what may have been starting to happen in the rpm, listen at 0.21 lol truck is now down and in the shop. Broke a full floating 14 bolt

Yep. Blew the 14 bolt in my 96 from doing burn outs. It was actually the gov loc that blew. Everything else was fine.

The downfall of the 14 bolt full floater is the differential itself is held together by the ring gear bolts and the preload of the carrier bearings holding it inward. Overtime as the carrier bearings lose some of there preload, it allows the differential housing to bow outward and crack the housing. Then of course theres the gov-lok where if you don't have enough power to spin em up instantly above the lockup speed, it can catch and ramp the differential out to lock it and shear the shafts off as well as pushing the differential housing apart when it locks in. I need to start saving up for a torsen diff for mine as they are now building them to work in the GM 14 bolt FF.

Housing looks ok. Not cracks or anything. Not leaking. And I am pretty sure there is no gov-lok in this. I think I may have perhaps shelled a spider. Will find out tomorrow

:D You absolutely need a torsen limited slip in there now. I hear other lockers are not so predictable with manual transmissions.

Well, pulled it apart today. I was wrong. It is a Gov-Lok. Actually, it WAS a Gov-Lok lol but was half right. Welded one of the 3 spiders solid to the shaft. May as well have been cast as one piece. I had a spare truck to rip the rear end out of. It is now an open diff. Back up and running.

Back