• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Warning: aftermarket belt tensioner + vacuum pump delete = fail

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
For a background of this issue please refer to this thread: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...Pump-delete-Question...&highlight=belt+length

In summary, there has been some debate over the issue of belt lifespan after removal of the vacuum pump. In other words, eating the belt due to lack of belt control with less retaining channels in the pulleys.

Previously I have run a stock GM pulley (broached and with control channels on the pulley) with the vacuum pump removed. No problems on two different trucks over 50K miles.

Recently I changed the belt tensioner on the Burb and have eaten two belts in short order... The tensioner I am using is the Dayco "no-slack" unit PN 89213 which does not have control channels built into the pulley.

Needless to say, tonight the GM unit will be put back into service!

At lunch I went to Advance Auto and grabbed a serp belt... Replaced no problem... BUT there is crazy wobble coming from the crank pulley!!! NOOOOOOOO!

One of three things is now the issue:
1. Outer pulley (I hope so)
2. Fluidampr took a dump (highly unlikely)
3. Crank is broken.

Lets hope that #1 is the answer!!!

I would think so as well Aces.

The motor purrs like a kitten... But I have had the stock (or Dorman) HB break before (thus the current Fluidampr) and the Auto Tranny flex plate broke once as well. So I have had "abuse" done to the crank. Not on purpose of course, and not for long.

we will see tonight or this weekend! I just hope I can make it 30 miles home tonight! LOL

... I feel like a cheap a$$, I should have put a new pulley on when changing the HB :(

I just went out and checked the pulley... It is toast.

Now I really really feel like a cheap a$$!!! Certifiable cheap a$$! LOL

Unless something is wrong with the tensioner I'll only replace the pulley witch come with new bearings. I put a cheapy Auto Zone one on one time, it sucked. I used to sell a bearing to replace the one in the pulley, but I saw one try to walk itself off so stoped that. Now I just buy the complete pulley.

I have never had problems with the tensioner pulley without the side rails on the pulley. The crown (curvature of pulley) is enough to hold a flat belt on unless its jumping excessively.

The quality of the serp belt makes all the difference in life and quiet running. I mistakenly drove on a busted main pulley for a while with an old belt (while the pulley tensioner was near max tension) and did not have belt chirp or squeal. It was a Carquest gold. The main pulley wasn't that loud either while running. It did however make some noise when I shut the engine off. It clank and "tinked" a few times.

Seems that quality of serp belts seems to vary even for a particular brand. No, I can't magically look at a belt and tell if its a good one or not I do look at its thickness and feel of its back side rubber. The Carquest Gold was thicker and felt grippier than the others I had looked at. I think I am running a premium one from Oreily's but can't remember the brand.

I know this is a old thread but does anyone have a part# for the shorter belt needed when removing vacuum pump? Mine is making a lot of noise and I'm planning on removing it tomorrow but I don't have time to guess on the right belt so a part# would be great. I'll get it at carquest i'm sure.

I know this is a old thread but does anyone have a part# for the shorter belt needed when removing vacuum pump? Mine is making a lot of noise and I'm planning on removing it tomorrow but I don't have time to guess on the right belt so a part# would be great. I'll get it at carquest i'm sure.

belt # should be in my sig, if not it should be 99.5 - 100 inches

Rule of thumb is around 1 to 1.5" shorter than the current belt.

Length of the belt is coded into the part number: K06-1010 means 6 groove with 101.0" length. I am putting a dash to ease the explanation, dash may not be there.
K can be replaced with any numbers like 4 for some brand or it can be placed after the length.

I have had best luck with the Dayco Premium Belts. I used everything from a 99 inch belt to a 101 inch belt with the vacuum pump delete. Think I am currently running a 100 or 100.5 inch Dayco belt but it too after 4-5000 miles has started stretching and the tensioner is no longer within the limit marks and will squeel when cold. Worst was the 99 and 99.5 inch gates belts they stretched within 100 miles dont know if they were too tight and broke down. I have been hoping the spring in the new tensioner will relax with use and to a point it has but I think it is the biggest issue right now. It is putting too much tension on the belt causing it to stretch.

Back