• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Want to break your crankshaft? I almost did today...

Didn't mean to offend or anything, @deejaaa . I've been in pretty much the same boat since the Great Recession economy crash of 07-08. I went almost four years without a job and now make half of what I used to before that. At least Nebraska raised their minimum wage to $9/hr, so everything else took a bump up, but even $12 is hard to get by on when a new reman IP is a week and a half's take home pay, which is why my Burb is sitting DOA in my driveway since Jan '15.

Same boat many of us are in. My new job with the city is only part time so $400 week. Luckily since I got hired half way into the fiscal year my boss can let me work a little extra each week so I make a bit more until summer time when their fiscal yewr starts over then I am maxed out to 2 days a week again. Just hoping the foot in the door thing works out. Of course hard to get second job when they might needto bounce the days of I have. Hopefully that will stabilize once cut to 2 days a week. I sure miss being in my 20s when I had the energy to work a full time job and a part time one on the side, or doing 6 14 hour work days at one place.

i was lucky to find this job. the guy i replaced had just been fired. i called while he was still there and they said they weren't hiring. i had been off for 6 months. it was just perfect timing when i walked in instead of calling. weekends off (worked 'em for 22 years), 3 days a week. the people are great and the place is stress free. i'll get a raise and hours will increase over time so the future looks bright. and i'm only 52.

was informed today i will be working 4 days a week.
wow! that is nice Leroy! i will be getting one of these from you soon.....along with some others.......
i want my shirt.....
Awesome, you know where Im at.

Didn't mean to offend or anything, @deejaaa . I've been in pretty much the same boat since the Great Recession economy crash of 07-08. I went almost four years without a job and now make half of what I used to before that. At least Nebraska raised their minimum wage to $9/hr, so everything else took a bump up, but even $12 is hard to get by on when a new reman IP is a week and a half's take home pay, which is why my Burb is sitting DOA in my driveway since Jan '15.
Yep. I'm at 1/5 with no hopes of anything better in the future.

And paying about $800 a month for insurance that used to be paid.

It seems odd to me to hear the job situation is still bad in some areas of the country. Here in West Michigan, it's the opposite. Nobody has been able to get any help for several years. Skilled or unskilled, it doesn't matter. Large companies have job fairs & nobody shows up. It's nuts.

It seems odd to me to hear the job situation is still bad in some areas of the country. Here in West Michigan, it's the opposite. Nobody has been able to get any help for several years. Skilled or unskilled, it doesn't matter. Large companies have job fairs & nobody shows up. It's nuts.

I'm not far from western Michigan. But job availability really wasn't my issue

Back