• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Want a larger oil filter?

cub124

Half Moon Detroit #1
Reaction score
oil filters.jpeg

here is an oil filter I found that will work on 6.2s and id imaging 6.5s also.

Part Numbers:
Napa:1794
Purolator clasic: L40048 (Note: the purolator is about a half inch longer than the napa)

Depending on what truck you have there may be other things in the way but if you try it please let us know year/model/4wd or 2wd so others know if it will fit!

so far i know it fits:
82 k20 4wd 6.2L turbo
87 k10 suburban 6.2L

yeah i mean it does have the same size threads and everything obviously so it has been used on something similar but the design and metal/alloys used in our blocks and the other one may be stronger or weaker

Its easy to use these when the filters hang down. I use a 2 quart from WIX 51794 on my 2wd 6.5, but you cannot on the 4wd 6.5s. One because of tight fit and two because it has to have anti-drainback and bypass when mounted horizontally. So if horizontal just make sure it has those feature, the Wix I use does not.

Its easy to use these when the filters hang down. I use a 2 quart from WIX 51794 on my 2wd 6.5, but you cannot on the 4wd 6.5s. One because of tight fit and two because it has to have anti-drainback and bypass when mounted horizontally. So if horizontal just make sure it has those feature, the Wix I use does not.

I use the same filter on my truck, so far it is working great! :thumbsup:

same filter on my K-5. Wix 51794. It's a 2 quart "chevy" filter so it's made for the GM engines.

For the 4X4 guys use a stock DURAMAX oil filter for a slightly larger filter that will still clear everything. It's a snug fit, but clears and has a drainback valve and everything in it. Only differrence other than size is it has a higher pressure before it will bypass the filter.

I checked out the oil filter for a duramax, fram brand and i put it next to a 6.5 filter but they were identical other then part number

I checked out the oil filter for a duramax, fram brand and i put it next to a 6.5 filter but they were identical other then part number

Heres the FRAM specs for the 2 filters. 6.5 is a PH5, and DMAX is a PH9100.
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH9100
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=PH5
It appears as though FRAM is now making the DMAX filter smaller than what others are making it as.

Heres the WIX specs. 51060 is a 6.5, and 57202 is a DMAX.
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=57202
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?Part=51060

And here is a side by side pic of the 2 in a STP brand. DMAX on the left, 6.5 on the right. It is an older pic of them, so they may have changed by now as well.
oil%20filter.JPG

Whats wrong with fram? I have ran them just as much as k&n oil filter and noticed no difference at all. Thanks for clarifying the dimensions guys.

Any particular year of duramax filter to use? Or will any year from 2002 and up work?

It depends on what type of fram, but the lower level frams usually fail most filtration tests. IIRC, the higher end frams still finish mid pack. much better filters out there IMO.

i picked up a b1428

and was wondering if then B7 i have would fit on my 3500HD gues theres my answer

If it's 2wd, I don't see why it wouldn't fit. I was hoping that i can find a filter like the Baldwin B7 2 qt but lower micron filter rating. Does anyone know what other brand that's same size as the Baldwin B7 but with better filtration?

Back