• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Walbro lift pump

1999gmc

Reaction score
Was just wondering what people are having good luck with for lift pumps. About every 2 years I'm buying another Walbro lift pump and thats only about 10-15,000 miles. I hardly drive this truck. I don't run any bio, just reg #2 diesel. I put one in probably 5-6 years ago and about a year and a half later it quit working electrically. I called Leroy and bought his relay harness and a new lift pump. A couple years later, bad again. Leroy was awesome and helped me out a little on the price so I tried another one. Came out this morning and my fuel pressure light didn't go off so I checked and I have 14.3 volts and a good ground, and pump isn't doing anything. I see a few Carters are being used now and was wondering if people are having them last better?

My lift pump graveyard has Carters in it. When they lock up the engine stops a few seconds later. Carters have Zero tolerance for biodiesel (voids warranty) and our diesel everywhere can have 5% bio without a label - some places can have 20% with a label.

The Lower pressure Walbro's have treated me better by not having electrical failures. The higher pressure unit I had was ruined by bad biodiesel. The low pressure one I rebuilt. Patch is in the low mile arena anymore some years getting less than 3000 miles, but, it has 50K or more on the Walbro pump.

In your case I would honestly put a mechanical lift pump on the engine. Belt drive lift pumps are out there if not modify an old school 6.2 lift pump and turbo drain to pan.

Just think something electrical is zapping the pump. Loose alt connection going full field, jump starting, bad frame to engine ground?

Cannot speak to longevity as my Carter is about a year old. It is a nice improvement over the Walbro. The Carter delivers a more steady pressure and only drops 1 - 2 psi at WOT where the Walbro would dropped more than that. The Carter is more quiet and more like a hum when it is working.

Walbro started working again for 4 days and quit. At least it lasted for my camping/fishing trip. I ordered a Delphi HFP953 yesterday and it should be here Monday. So we'll see how long it goes.

So spec I've found on rock auto, Napa, and Summit Racing all say 9 PSI for the hfp953. I finally got time to install mine tonight and decide I better check the fuel pressure just to make sure. Installed a gauge at the T valve and it buries my 15 PSI gauge. So I throw my FI gauge on it and it goes to 19 PSI. Not sure if I should do a regulator or send it back and see if the next one is 9 PSI.

I decided to keep the delphi pump and do a FASS fuel pressure regulator. Did a return to the tank and regulated it to 10 PSI. I have a light I installed in my truck years ago to let me know if fuel pressure went below 4 psi just so I knew if lift pump quit. When pulling hills with trailer I would get a flicker once in a while with walbro and more flickers with factory lift pump. Pulled the toy hauler last night up I80 towareds Reno to Emigrant Gap from Sacramento area. Truck pulled great and light never flickered once. Pretty happy with it. Now if it lasts more than 2 years I'll be happy. Good thing is, as of now, Delphi has a lifetime warranty on these pumps.20180628_123541.jpg

That's a nice clean looking setup.
I have several of the higher pressure fuel pumps setting around, new in the box, for the higher pressure gas engines. If this new Carter system I have fails, I might get a regulator and set up one of those pumps and see how long they will hold up.

That is, indeed, a nice looking setup. The first thing I think of, though, is big gobs of slush and ice chunks hitting that glass and wasting the gauge, as it rips it off the frame. The I looked at your location and, alas, you're away from the salt belt and in an area where you're allowed to drive your truck year round without fear of the above (and rot).

I'm green.

My Walbro treats me well. I'll have to see when I installed it. It's been more than two years ago.

That is, indeed, a nice looking setup. The first thing I think of, though, is big gobs of slush and ice chunks hitting that glass and wasting the gauge, as it rips it off the frame. The I looked at your location and, alas, you're away from the salt belt and in an area where you're allowed to drive your truck year round without fear of the above (and rot).

I'm green.

My Walbro treats me well. I'll have to see when I installed it. It's been more than two years ago.

Yeah I thought of that and may change the location. Problem was I was in Canada fishing until Sunday and had a camping trip planned for Thurs after I got back. Reg. was waiting at the shop when I got home. So I had 4 days to get reg. installed and load trailer for a 4 day camping trip. So this was an easy location and I can see the fuel pressure without crawling under the truck. When I did the intercooler setup on my truck 13 years ago people said the same thing about something ripping it off or going through it. I said well if that plastic skid plate shit can last this long without damage, I think the intercooler will be fine. Hell 13 years later still the original one I installed. And I figured if something did damage it I was only out $100 and some dollars. If I leave it there I will probably put an aluminum shield or something in front of it.

Not related but did had a little excitement 2 nights in a row. Had this friendly guy in the campsite. Came back to the campsite last night and he was between the truck and camper. He walked off about 10 yards from us and stopped and just starred at us. We snapped a few pics and went into the camper. Kids loved seeing a real bear in the wild. That made their trip.

Resized_20180630_220107_3252.jpg Resized_20180630_220427_7496.jpg Resized_20180630_220105_4594.jpg

I decided to keep the delphi pump and do a FASS fuel pressure regulator. Did a return to the tank and regulated it to 10 PSI. I have a light I installed in my truck years ago to let me know if fuel pressure went below 4 psi just so I knew if lift pump quit. When pulling hills with trailer I would get a flicker once in a while with walbro and more flickers with factory lift pump. Pulled the toy hauler last night up I80 towareds Reno to Emigrant Gap from Sacramento area. Truck pulled great and light never flickered once. Pretty happy with it. Now if it lasts more than 2 years I'll be happy. Good thing is, as of now, Delphi has a lifetime warranty on these pumps.View attachment 53237
Hey how do you like the FASS regulator? I bought one and then the Fass techs have told me all kinds of different info about it, one being you can't regulate pressure down only up, didn't make sense to me. Apparently you adjusted the pressure down from 19psi to 10psi correct? Have you thought about using the boost port? Check out this thread if you have the time. Thanks

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/working-on-a-next-level-fuel-system.47447/

Hey how do you like the FASS regulator? I bought one and then the Fass techs have told me all kinds of different info about it, one being you can't regulate pressure down only up, didn't make sense to me. Apparently you adjusted the pressure down from 19psi to 10psi correct? Have you thought about using the boost port? Check out this thread if you have the time. Thanks

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/working-on-a-next-level-fuel-system.47447/
I like it. Yeah it was 19 before reg. Installed it and it buried the 15 PSI gauge and it adjusted down to 10 PSI with a couple of turns. No, never thought about using the boost port. This pump seems to have no problems under load keeping fuel pressure.

I like it. Yeah it was 19 before reg. Installed it and it buried the 15 PSI gauge and it adjusted down to 10 PSI with a couple of turns. No, never thought about using the boost port. This pump seems to have no problems under load keeping fuel pressure.
May I ask how and where did you run your return line from the FPR?

Haha. I ran it into the vent on the fuel filler tube. Then someone posted the video of it causing foaming, so when I run this tank out I think I'll install another return to the tank. I haven't had any problems with it there though. I've towed the toy hauler a couple times since doing it and have been down to under a 1/4 tank and never had any problems or hiccups or anything though.

Is the Delphi pump a different type of pump mechanism or does it work the same as the Walbro Leroy sells? The reason I'm asking is because, even with vibration isolators, the Walbro has caused some unwanted rattles to show up at the same resonance as the pump pumping. I don't want it to get worse in time and figured that if I had something that pumped "smooth", such as the Air Dogs, and didn't have the persistent knocking, then it might be a better solution for me.

Secondarily, will the Delphi allow fuel to be pulled through, if it fails?

Haha. I ran it into the vent on the fuel filler tube. Then someone posted the video of it causing foaming, so when I run this tank out I think I'll install another return to the tank. I haven't had any problems with it there though. I've towed the toy hauler a couple times since doing it and have been down to under a 1/4 tank and never had any problems or hiccups or anything though.
I suspect your not running the much higher volume pump that is featured in the video either.

Bury the return in fuel at the bottom of the tank. Otherwise it's a source of air to drain the fuel system overnight. Further the vent tube can fill with fuel causing a big "burp" and fuel blown out the filler neck when you try and fill up before the line drains. We had this "burp" problem with an aux tank that filled the main tank through the vent line. Running the card and turning the pump on sometimes wasn't long enough to drain all the vent lines.

Bury the return in fuel at the bottom of the tank. Otherwise it's a source of air to drain the fuel system overnight. Further the vent tube can fill with fuel causing a big "burp" and fuel blown out the filler neck when you try and fill up before the line drains. We had this "burp" problem with an aux tank that filled the main tank through the vent line. Running the card and turning the pump on sometimes wasn't long enough to drain all the vent lines.
I have my aux tank plumbed into the fill neck transferring fuel close to the tank w/vent higher up in the neck........I'm considering plumbing both tanks to a MIL/SPEC manual switch valve.

I've had my transfer tank plumbed in at the fuel fill vent for over 10 years. Never had a burp or a problem filling the reg tank or the transfer tank. I've transfered fuel while driving all the time. Never had an issue.

Back