• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WALBRO FRB-5 fuel pump

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
I think my lift pump is shot... It purrs like a hord of kitties, but just deliver very little fuel. I realised that today after it took several minutes to bleed my fuel filters...

I'm thinking about replacing it with a WALBRO FRB-5 fuel pump. Some of you can tell me where I can find one? Any special plumbing to fabric or, by chance, is it a plug and play one?

I use a 2 microns pre-filter (DAHL), is the mesh too thin maybe, though I had no problem to bleed previously with a nice steam of fuel...

96 is OBD-II he has 2 power paths for lift OPS (back-up) and PCM/relay, you have to lose both in OBD-II for power to be issue, common point is lift pump gnd independent of all other gnds, same for oBD-I or OBD-II.

Matt if lift is getting power before condemming it make sure tank sock and your prefilter are clean, IMO 2 micron is too small for a prefilter, I would go no smaller than a 10 micron filter for pre filt, yes I know lots of Dmax kits go 2 micron prefilter, mistake.

If you look at any filter mfrs website a filter that fine is for fuel that is of known good fuel quality & to be used for final filtration, what comes out of the tank/fuel station isn't KNOWN to be good fuel, if building a tiered filtration system you need to go coarse to fine not reverse, Ideal would be 30 mic to 20 mic to 10 mic to 2 for final. Not enough $$$ or real estate for that so for the 6.5 the 70 in tank to a 10 to the on engine 5 is sufficient, the Dmax needs a 2 mic final because they will be running 20,000 psi injection pressures vs our 2500 psi max.

Walbro may be hard to import from where I got mine @ Hoesli Diesel check some of our vendors possibly they sell them, fwiw the Heath h/o lift pump will support vast majority of 6.5ers out there.

Pre-filter is after the lift pump and before the main stock filter.
You're speaking words of logic, the finest mesh should be the last one in the filtration chain. Just made a mistake when I ordered the filter...

I will try to check the sock filter in the tank before condemning the pump. Anyways, I have a spare one on the way, and I could then try it too.

I'm looking for the walbro, in case my lift pump (the 93 K3500 pattern) is shot. Thius pump is less than 1;5 year old, the one I replaced previously was about the same.
If it appears it's the lift pump again, that will tell me : "don't insist with stock lift pump, go another route"...

yes... your stock setup is a threaded-on design... I couldnt find any barbs that would thread in without leaking, so I sawzalled the steel lines and then put rubber lines on. If I were to do it again I wouldnt cut the lines, Id drop the tank and run new fuel lines for everything, making things newer and easier.

Back