• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Voltage drop????

Bigburban

Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes when I floor it or hit the brakes my volt meter dumps but recovers quick. (almost like morning start up when the glows kick back on) It just has done it a few times now. I have new batteries, load tested them, 4 gauge wire from the alt. to battery checked all the grounds that I could find. The inside gauge reads around 14 almost all the time. Is there a such thing as to big of a alt. wire? Alt. is only about 8 months old.

No not too big bigger is better when it comes to tron flow, GM alt meters not the the best in work to go by, but most part stores shops check for free, generally takes 15 minutes or so to pull the alt so have it checked out, and since so much stuff is outsourced it's also not out of realm of possibility that alt is having issues.

Thats what I am thinking about the alt. I studied Docs ground write up and did go through the steps. Thinking "stupid autozone alt!!" I seen a massive ground strap at the parts store thinking of getting it and replacing engine to frame or getting a lawn mower neg. ground wire at wally world they work good, 6 gauge and have good connections on the end. I am leaning toward the regulator on the alt. because of the sudden drop but quick recovery. Are there any good alt. out there? I seen some that are the high power, high amp but I think they would fry things?

Roll of the dice even a GM alt from the dealer may be crap, my 1st Alt was GM replacement thinking it it best, (WRONG) so I bought a Duralast Gold from Autozone as they are all over the USA and carry a lifetime warranty, 2nd one lasted about 3 years, replacement has been in there for about 3 years now as well, but when it craps out I'll get a free replacement

I got a brand new 160 amp CS130 from an ebay seller, Eagle auto electric, and it was made in the USA even!! bolted right in, and has been there about 2 years so far without a problem. It is made to produce more electricity at low RPM, supposed to put out peak at 1800 RPM. Can't verify that, but it does a much better job of keeping everything running, even with the plow....

Ok I added an extra 6 gauge ground engine to frame. This seems to have done the trick but not to hi jack my own thread here but while I was testing I found out that the pass. side glow plugs were not working! Traced it back to the fusible link (round plastic thing) removed it and added a 30 amp in-line fuse and it works fine, so my question is did they really use that small of a wire going to the glow plugs? Can I run a larger wire and pick up the glow plugs at the fusible wire junction? Does anyone know where is the write up for adding a glow plug override relay is? I would assume an old starter solenoid taking power to the glow side of the regular glow relay would work? Man I hate checking things seems I always find something else to do!!!

Does anyone know where is the write up for adding a glow plug override relay is?
To make my override, I used a ford starter relay ( some call it a solenoid)mounted on firewall, wafer fused from battery pos to feed it (4Ga wire) another 4Ga wire to output side of glow plug controller. Wire the switch with switched ( by Key) feed, a momentary contact switch is recommended, to trigger relay. On OBD1, it will actually make the wait to start light light up when activated..... not sure about OBD2...
Feeding from the battery would allow it to work even if your main fuse link to the glow plug controller failed, rather than feeding from glow plug controller lug itself. Feel free to PM if you need clarification on anything...
Do you have a fuse of any kind on that alt to battery line? ( I used 4 Ga there, too)
Marc

To make my override, I used a ford starter relay ( some call it a solenoid)mounted on firewall, wafer fused from battery pos to feed it (4Ga wire) another 4Ga wire to output side of glow plug controller. Wire the switch with switched ( by Key) feed, a momentary contact switch is recommended, to trigger relay. On OBD1, it will actually make the wait to start light light up when activated..... not sure about OBD2...
Feeding from the battery would allow it to work even if your main fuse link to the glow plug controller failed, rather than feeding from glow plug controller lug itself. Feel free to PM if you need clarification on anything...
Do you have a fuse of any kind on that alt to battery line? ( I used 4 Ga there, too)
Marc

Thanks! I have 4 gauge going from the alt. to battery but no fuse. Do I need one?

Back