• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

vegtable oil powered sub help!

john65td

Addicted to boost
Reaction score
working on a 1995 k2500 suburban with veg oil conversion can run on diesel or veg oil it was running on veg oil it stalled and could not get restarted its sub zero freezing temps here and i believe the oil became solid what the best way to get diesel flowing back through get the veg oil out so i can get it running again any hepl is greatly appericated thanks

Plug in the block heater, drain filter mgr of the lard :D, then refill filter mgr with NR 2 "real fuel", add in a new filter (or maybe you can dissolve lard on filter with warm #2 fuel) and crank away until it fires. Make sure you are drawing from the Diesel fuel tank

Were you SVO or WVO fueling, you may have to disconnect and purge at injectors depending how thick your blend was when she stopped running, warm shop per AKDD recommendation may be all it needs as well if you can get it in the shop,

May want to purge the filter mgr into a bucket also with the lift pump forced to run so you have Nr 2 fuel only all way to IP

Why did it stall?

What type of vegoil conversion is it? Does it share a fuel filter with veggie and diesel? If so, your problem is way more complicated.

If not shared, I'd heat it up via block heat for several hours, then get your teapot boiling and run superhot water over the injector lines, injectors, IP and saying the Lord's Prayer wouldn't hurt one bit. Be sure you have good clean diesel to the IP.

Turbine Doc, the original diesel was designed for vegetable oil. It is the only "real" fuel! Everything else is fake. Love ya man!

Harumph you veggie people; and you know who you are ):h this happens every year :rolleyes5: when weather gets a mite chilly somebody comes up a complainin :sad: truck won't run, Rudy's original may have been veggie fueled, but the 6.5 wasn't designed to run that-a- way, :D put in Diesel fuel until the weather turns warm.

Would a espar heater http://www.espar.com/html/applications/automotive.html be beneficial to veggie guys subjected to cold

Harumph you veggie people; and you know who you are ):h this happens every year :rolleyes5: when weather gets a mite chilly somebody comes up a complainin :sad: truck won't run, Rudy's original may have been veggie fueled, but the 6.5 wasn't designed to run that-a- way, :D put in Diesel fuel until the weather turns warm.

Would a espar heater http://www.espar.com/html/applications/automotive.html be beneficial to veggie guys subjected to cold

Another thought since it's veggie we are dealing with would a warming lamp from restaurant be beneficial under hood, keeps fries warm, maybe would do same for fry grease.

I think he should be worried as much about WHY it died, as much as getting it running again. Maybe rent a salamander heater, and pitch a tent over the truck and let er eat.

it died either bad fsd or injection pump battery is dead so no codes i want to get it running to set codes i have a very good idea whats wrong with it

it died either bad fsd or injection pump battery is dead so no codes i want to get it running to set codes i have a very good idea whats wrong with it

need a comma or 2 here, I was trying to figure out what an IP battery was :D, when I read your update fast the 1st time

1st thing before condeming the IP or the FSD, lets get the batteries charged up fully, then drain & fill filter mgr with Diesel fuel , I suspect gnds as well; as cold weather tends to make the dirty/loose ones rear their ugly head

Going back to original scenario you said running on veggie then died, had the v/o achieved a good operating temp or were you in a transition from Diesel to v/o, I don't mean to be poking fun at your situation, but it's an additional component we need to factor in with the trouble shooting, what is your current setup, do you think you still have v/o in the lines or IP

Ok im going on what i have been told, as this is not my vehicle a guy bought it in indiana and was driving it back. he started out on diesel then when it got up to temp he switched to veg oil. it was running good and then the check engine light came on. he drove for a little longer distance unknow, then it stalled and would not restart. i know it needs a glow plug controler im replacing that tonight. different issue. he had it at a gm dealership along the way they tryed to sell him an injection pump. he didn't want to pay 3 grand so it was towed back to newyork and now i get to fix it. the pervious owner had fsd problems new one is just resting on intake no cooler or anything. i want to get veg oil out of system some is in there it was running on it when it died. then get it cranking and attemp to run to see what the problem is. i plan on going over grounds and all the little stuff first. i know enough to do all that first before parts get thrown at it

Ok im going on what i have been told, as this is not my vehicle a guy bought it in indiana and was driving it back. he started out on diesel then when it got up to temp he switched to veg oil. it was running good and then the check engine light came on. he drove for a little longer distance unknow, then it stalled and would not restart. i know it needs a glow plug controler im replacing that tonight. different issue. he had it at a gm dealership along the way they tryed to sell him an injection pump. he didn't want to pay 3 grand so it was towed back to newyork and now i get to fix it. the pervious owner had fsd problems new one is just resting on intake no cooler or anything. i want to get veg oil out of system some is in there it was running on it when it died. then get it cranking and attemp to run to see what the problem is. i plan on going over grounds and all the little stuff first. i know enough to do all that first before parts get thrown at it

Ahhhhhh more to the story, Thanks,

With all this, FSD is now indeed suspect, if you don't have a spare handy, you might try to revive the one you have with a removal of transistor lock nuts, buff up the area where the nut contacts the transistor to remove any oxidation, and retorque to about 10 pound INCH max to maybe get better gnd there to transistor, (Iv'e revived a few for the short term this way, but once its been hot like is not mounted on a IP or good heat sink out of engine bay, only a matter of time before fully dead) get the rest of the gnds spiffy. How did he know he got v/o up to operating temp before shifting over.

Any possibility you are sucking air? from the lines in the v/o system since it was running okay on the Diesel previously ?

I think something is wrong on the veggie side of the house. Let's get her going on diesel.

Again, do you know the brand of conversion, or is it a homebrew system?

Back