• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

View attachment 76898
Just a sampling of our garden. I believe the wife said there was 14 crates and 5 grocery bags full. Each crate weighs approximately 50 lbs. Wife bottled a dozen or so quart bottles of pickled beets from the garden as well.
Also not finished getting the carrots dug.
POTATOES... I want some so bad...😢

View attachment 76898
Just a sampling of our garden. I believe the wife said there was 14 crates and 5 grocery bags full. Each crate weighs approximately 50 lbs. Wife bottled a dozen or so quart bottles of pickled beets from the garden as well.
Also not finished getting the carrots dug.
How do you store the potatoes?

We were always having to move our's around.
We'd start in the basement when it was cooler. Then move them out to the garden shed when we turned the heat on in the house. It was always a bit of a pia.

We also made mashed and ready to cook hash browns and stuff and froze them.

This year we didn't do potatoes.

Root cellar
Yup. Our basement had one area away from the wood/coal furnace that always stayed cool. Them spuds would still grow those stem things and I’d be sent down on ocassion to break them off. Darn I cant remember what them things is called.
I was maybe about ten YO in those days. Grandpaw would take Me and we would walk to the river and get a couple of stones to His specifications. He had this cabbage slicer device and He would slice up all the remaining cabbage at the end of the gardening season. Into two stone crocks those slices would go along with some salt poured in.
He also had a couple of old large dinner like plates. He would place those plated with bottom side up atop of the loads of cabbage and place one of those rocks atop of each plate.
I remember going into the basement with Him and tasting the cabbage. After that I would go to the basement by myself and take a taste. Wonderful stuff that sauerkraut is. 😹😹😹
Fond child hood memories. Can I please go back ? And know then what I now know ?

Can I please go back ? And know then what I now know ?
Haha that reminds me of a quote from Stephen Leacock, Canadian humorist from way back,

“You know, many a man realizes late in life that if when he was a boy he had known what he knows now, instead of being what he is he might be what he won’t; but how few boys stop to think that if they knew what they don’t know instead of being what they will be they wouldn’t be?

These are awful thoughts.” Stephen Leacock

Nice taters guys. Back in the day when we grew a big garden we would plant 3 to 4 rows of taters that were at least 150 feet long. Through the summer we would gravel some out of one roll and start eating them when we wanted a mess. Along about Labor Day we would dig the rest of them with a special plow on the tractor. We collected them in egg baskets and carried them to the truck. Each egg basket held about a half of a bushel if I remember correctly. I can recall 25 plus baskets on several different years. In the spring what taters that were left over, we cut the sprouts out of them, planted them and started all over again. Other words we didn't buy seed taters every year.

Well we were to get a frost last night. So @Diesel princess and I picked all the peppers and tomatoes that were still on the vine. Tomatoes are all still green. We're gonna try to ripen them either in a window or in brown paper bags. Not sure which way works better..I plan on murdering about 5 trees that are close to our house because they put shade on the yard more each year which is part of the growing problem. There were a couple black walnut trees that were hurting plants to cause of there poison. I cut them down this year but a little to late...I'd forgot what they do to plants up until then. Then there's these maple trees (about 50 foot tall or so) that are technically on neighbors probably but he doesn't want them there so he said I'm welcome to cut them down..
I'm planning on putting a small wood stove in the basement so I'm keeping all the wood. Of course I cut trees for a living so firewoods free to me anyhow but....
All our stuff grows in raided beds Because of the walnut poison being in the ground. We're going to build some more raised beds around the yard here soon with reclaimed lumber. And going to build a couple into greenhouse. Green house is 12x20 so I figure I should be throwing stuff in there too aside from seedlings in the spring otherwise it's a waste of space.
Since all the plants are out of the beds for the year, I'm going to get some either cow or chicken manure to compost into them let it break down for the winter. We have put thousands of earthworms in them which has made the ground really nice they do their job very well.
Kind of heartbreaking to lose so much of it this year. But you can't control the weather, and there's always next year to look forward to

We have about 2 dozen small jalapeno peppers. That we took off last night. And a bunch of Hungarian wax peppers. They are still yellow, but that's ripe just not super spicy.. gonna can most of them. Maybe put jalapenos in with them. Or pickle the jalapenos with the green tomatoes as @denata said.. never done it but worth a shot. And hopefully we can brown bag rippen some of the the tomatoes. Anyone have advice for doing that?

Well we were to get a frost last night. So @Diesel princess and I picked all the peppers and tomatoes that were still on the vine. Tomatoes are all still green. We're gonna try to ripen them either in a window or in brown paper bags. Not sure which way works better..I plan on murdering about 5 trees that are close to our house because they put shade on the yard more each year which is part of the growing problem. There were a couple black walnut trees that were hurting plants to cause of there poison. I cut them down this year but a little to late...I'd forgot what they do to plants up until then. Then there's these maple trees (about 50 foot tall or so) that are technically on neighbors probably but he doesn't want them there so he said I'm welcome to cut them down..
I'm planning on putting a small wood stove in the basement so I'm keeping all the wood. Of course I cut trees for a living so firewoods free to me anyhow but....
All our stuff grows in raided beds Because of the walnut poison being in the ground. We're going to build some more raised beds around the yard here soon with reclaimed lumber. And going to build a couple into greenhouse. Green house is 12x20 so I figure I should be throwing stuff in there too aside from seedlings in the spring otherwise it's a waste of space.
Since all the plants are out of the beds for the year, I'm going to get some either cow or chicken manure to compost into them let it break down for the winter. We have put thousands of earthworms in them which has made the ground really nice they do their job very well.
Kind of heartbreaking to lose so much of it this year. But you can't control the weather, and there's always next year to look forward to
Haven't been on much lately. Just leave the Tomatoes in boxes in the house, they will ripen on their own.

For some of the earlier posts

My wife fries the Cabbage with onions in butter and oil until golden brown. I like it the best that way, but I also like it boiled or as Sauerkraut

We have about 2 dozen small jalapeno peppers. That we took off last night. And a bunch of Hungarian wax peppers. They are still yellow, but that's ripe just not super spicy.. gonna can most of them. Maybe put jalapenos in with them. Or pickle the jalapenos with the green tomatoes as @denata said.. never done it but worth a shot. And hopefully we can brown bag rippen some of the the tomatoes. Anyone have advice for doing that?
Cut each to half, and put garlic, pepper, grated carrots into the cut. Then put in jars (sterilize), add greens, bay leaf and peppercorns. Brine: for 1 liter (2 pints) of water - 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Pour the hot brine over the tomatoes and screw on the jar lids. Ready! Open for christmas.

We finally got some hazelnuts off all the American hazelnuts we planted. At least 50 plants.

I didn't read up on them much. I thought they'd be a little bigger.
The nuts are about the size of a marble
The meat's about the size of a pea.

We ripped up the garden today. A little premature. It should have been covered the last couple days.

Threw out a lot of good tomatoes. We got a few milk crates full. Depending on how the weather held out. We might have had fresh tomatoes for a while yet

Stripped our garden last week and have a bunch of peppers to freeze this week and a half bushel of green tomatoes. All the plants are in the compost pile now and the garden will spend the winter under the remainder of the hay mulch. I stopped fall tillage a couple years ago and now just till the areas for potatoes and onions at planting time. The rest we just put more mulch on and plant seedlings through the freshened mulch.

Back