• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Enough for the winter and left for the next sowing.
How do you store the potatoes?

We've had poor results dry storing them. We never tried the garden shed. We've only been heating it year round for a few years. And I wasn't around last year.

My wife makes and freezes a lot of hash browns and stuff. But that is time consuming also.

Usually there's enough here for 3 families. This year we planted none.

@denata I honestly didn't think your climate/weather would support strawberries.. they can be a pain to grow at times..
denata, how big is your strawberry patch?
We just started a strawberry patch for the first time in 40 years or so. The birds are all the new plants. Wind chimes and a solar owl with motion sensor lighted eyes didn't bother the birds at all.

We have a lot of snow (about a yard), it is like a heater covering strawberries in winter. We have a couple of beds 6 square yards growing small, about 3/4 inch.
Potatoes are stored in the basement of the garage, around +5°C (40°F), and do not need to be washed after harvest.

Our corn is just getting started.

We're not going to get much out of 4 rows about 140 yards long.

It was very dry here and we never got the hose strung out to water any of the corn.

My wife said there probably wasn't enough to put any up. Just some for eating.

Still haven't bought a tiller. We looked at some. There's a new Super Bronco in Rockford we'd like to buy it we can make it up there.

Our corn is just getting started.

We're not going to get much out of 4 rows about 140 yards long.

It was very dry here and we never got the hose strung out to water any of the corn.

My wife said there probably wasn't enough to put any up. Just some for eating.

Still haven't bought a tiller. We looked at some. There's a new Super Bronco in Rockford we'd like to buy it we can make it up there.
We only have about 25 or 30 corn plants and they usually only produce one each

@Diesel princess and I have tons of tomatoes..and Hungarian wax peppers. A couple bell peppers are starting and green beans are just starting to produce. Be awhile before there ready.. the corn only got about 5 foot tall . But has ears growing.. not sure how big they will get.. we planted 2 baby butternut squash. The plants are growing but no squash growing yet.. we got jalapeno peppers growing but there way behind.. hopefully they will catch up. And 2 habinaro peppers plants also, Still small..
We didn't get to plant everything we wanted to this year due to finances at the time.. going to build more raised beds around the yard before winter and get them filled that way we're ready for next spring. We gotta ton of rain yesterday,& today and more coming tomorrow so hopefully the ground soaks it up good.. God we needed it.. we're gonna plant some cold weather crops next month. Peas, squash maybe some other stuff..

What do we do with first year asparagus?

We planted about every 18" or 2'.

We didn't have time to keep it weeded. It's overgrown with grass and weeds.

Do we mow it tall? Mow it short?
Or just leave it alone?
I don't remember exactly what we did last time. I thing we mowed it year 2 and 3. Year 4.it never came back. Or the rabbits and the dog ate it as it sprouted

What do we do with first year asparagus?

We planted about every 18" or 2'.

We didn't have time to keep it weeded. It's overgrown with grass and weeds.

Do we mow it tall? Mow it short?
Or just leave it alone?
I don't remember exactly what we did last time. I thing we mowed it year 2 and 3. Year 4.it never came back. Or the rabbits and the dog ate it as it sprouted
Just leave it alone. Let it grow tall and sprout branches. Seeds will grow on them plants and after several years You will have a right healthy crop of asparagus.
Over here, we let it grow wild. Watch it in the spring, especially after a spring rain. Little plants will pop up all around where You see the last years plants.
Pick the new shoots for food, but, always leave enough for seed for the following year.

I thought it was cool yesterday we got a really heavy rain and I went out to look at my plants and one tomato was already pretty big and heavy and while I was outside I heard and saw it snap and fall because it being wet made it heavier I thought it was pretty cool because I had never seen that before... 😄... I don't know maybe I'm just a city girl wannabe farm girl so I think everything about horticulture and agriculture is the most amazing thing ever... 😁

Back