• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

@NVW , yeah I've been told that different plants repel different bugs. We haven't put any of the root plants like potatoes carrots onions in the ground yet. So any advice as to what we should plant with the above ground stuff would be helpful.. so far above ground we planted corn three different kinds of peppers and a bunch of tomatoes. Also going to be doing green beans wax beans. Any advice would be helpful

I guess I should just keep at the gardening, even though I’m not a real veggie eater. I rarely eat any kind of vegetables and meat is the staple of the diet I eat. Potatoes and bread are out.
When I make a sammich at noon time, I use these flax seed flats. Kind of like a tortilla soft shell, like a veggie wrap, a couple slices of cheese and two slices of lunchmeat and I’m good until about 5:00pm.
Wifey is always asking if I want a veggie with the roast, meatloaf or whatever kind of meat she has cooked up, nope, I’m good with just the meat. 😹😹😹

Fresh veggies taste better. We redid our boxes this year. Still have to mulch between them, add the drip irrigation, and some trellises.

It will be overcrowded in a month. We have some flower pots with herbs, some blueberries, and a few blackberries too. We don't have enough blackberries to get much but give away and freeze the blueberries we get so many. I need to get some more chickens but going to wait till the fall. I had about 20 chickens 4 years ago but lost them to attrition of foxes, coyotes, and hawks. I keep saying I'll plant a few pecan trees and maybe a pear tree.

vegboxes.jpg

When I plant, I would trench water. I do know that drip irrigation conserves a lot of water and here, with such a high iron content of the surface water, it most likely is not real good for the soil.
I imagine from the time of My grandfather planting his huge gardens in the yard and then the family after his passing, there also has been a ton of gold pumped onto the soil too. 😹😹😹
Float gold. So fine it floats out of a pan or sluice.

Horse manure works great too as long as it's well composted ahead of time.
In my experience, sheep and rabbit poop are the best. Never tried pelletized chicken poop before.
I go for free. Delivered I'd possible.

I did pay delivery on 5 truck loads of horse manure recently.

Why does the horse manure I get seem to have so much rocks and gravel in it?

Why does the horse manure I get seem to have so much rocks and gravel in it?
The barn area they are cleaning up has a rock/gravel base. Typically those are pasture kept animals instead of stall kept. That rock just gets scooped up with it. It'll add a bit of lime to the manure though. I had that situation when we had the herd here.

We're having a small problem. All our tomatoes we planted are yellowing. Soil seems to be moist enough. Maybe not enough nutrients? Soil we bought was mixed with horse manure. No clue how long it was composted for though. Any ideas? What can we put on them to save them?

Back