• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

They root across underground then pop up other places. Taking out all the plants doesn't necessarily take care of the problem.

2-4-D unless you're organic. If so, then it's just a lot of work. Invest in a scythe and cut them down before they seed.

They root across underground then pop up other places. Taking out all the plants doesn't necessarily take care of the problem.

2-4-D unless you're organic. If so, then it's just a lot of work. Invest in a scythe and cut them down before they seed.
Been doing both.

Had some 40 year old cornbelt I added to the 2-4-D. I didn't realize it was a kill all. Or maybe it had something mixed with it.

Killed a Filbert / hazelnut. Got a little too close.

Just don't have time to keep up. They're spread out over 20 acres. I've started carrying a hoe when I walk to get my steps in.

Still working on getting the decorative pear cut up. Hopefully I'll be done with that Saturday.

I need a brush hog. I need to mow around the crp trees.
We haven't mowed around them in at least 3 years. It's too thick for the Toro or Kubota

Tractor supply sells 30% vinegar. A similar product called green gobbler is sold at home depot. Organic folks use it as herbicide. Will burn anything it touches but won't kill back to the root.

I've got a bad infestation of canadian thistle in my high tunnel too. Got half of it tarped; other half is getting repeatedly mowed and sprayed with vinegar until maybe the thistles quit. Kind of like cattails in a pond. Keep mowing and pulling them up until the root quits. It really does suck. Keeping them from going to seed is the most important thing.

@jrsavoie I've never heard of them, what are they similar to?
Our tomatoes and doing awesome, but they have a little blight on some of them.. some of the plants look like they're on steroids they've gotten so big.
Anybody have any suggestions for how to get rid of the blight??

@jrsavoie I've never heard of them, what are they similar to?
Our tomatoes and doing awesome, but they have a little blight on some of them.. some of the plants look like they're on steroids they've gotten so big.
Anybody have any suggestions for how to get rid of the blight??
They look kind of like a blue berry only a darker purple.

From what I've read, they are bitter or sour - foods like this are known to cause bile to release (similar to the effects of eating grapefruit. Good food for digestion.

Freeze dry.
We haven't got to the freeze drying stage yet. So far we just bag and freeze them.

I seem to be the only one that likes them.

@Stoney what kind of tomato blight? If it's late blight there's nothing you can do, it kills plants overnight.

All blights are from fungal spores that thrive it wet environments. So keeping the plants dry is prevention #1. Pruning the plants to promote air flow and drying out is another good practice.

Fungicide sprays are the next course- organic folks spray copper. I don't like spraying heavy metals so what I've done in the past is spray potassium bicarbonate- it's what brewers use to kill wild yeast and other potential living things in their brews. I've also heard of spraying a diluted milk solution- the milk is very basic (high pH) which apparently fungi don't like. The potassium bicarbonate does the same thing, creates a very basic environment inhospitable to mold spores

@DieselAmateur I don't really know which it is.. I'd say early. Getting it on a leaf here and there. Been snapping them off and disposing of them. I've been told you can dilute either baking soda or peroxide in water and spray them with it anything to change the pH balance.. but not willing to experiment on my crop this year. So I figured I would ask y'all for something that is tried and true.. I've never heard of spring any kind of copper but I have heard of putting copper rods in the soil that promotes a lot of growth evidently... Not much I can do about the moisture, I have them trimmed up probably a good foot and a half from the ground. We just keep getting rain so frequently the ground never really gets dry.. but there are a s*** ton of tomatoes on those plants and are looking beautiful so I want to do what I can to make sure I don't lose them... I will harvest them green if I have to if it gets to that point

Back