• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Variable A/C orifice tube?

midniteplowboyy

Recruit
Reaction score
Which variable orifice tube should I use? The parts store has two versions listed. One is for temps up to 105ºF and the other is for 105ºF plus temps.

I live in Texas, we only get up to 105º ten days or so most years, but usually have sixty days thats around 100º. This years a little hotter than most though, 105-118ºF for the last two weeks.

How much more inefficient is the 105+ tube at cooler temps?

I'm changing to a sanden compressors in my 93 with the cummins swap and wanted to try out one of these variable orfice tubes.

Thanks,

Don't waste your money, just run a standard orifice tube. I've tried one in my BURB and ended up with hot air out the front vents, and i have tried them in others with the same results. A good acumulator and stock orifice works just fine.

I believe there was a fixed orifice tube for "severe duty", more or less the desert. That might work for you.

The VOV doesn't work with rear air. They do improve the idle temps. You will want the 105+ tube. For the 1993 you are better off with the bigger R134A condenser if it hasn't been swapped out already.

The VOV made a big difference at idle on my 1995 Yukon w/ 6 blade fan. I have found that the Dmax fan also makes a improvement with AC.

Last edited:
I did the VOV on a 94 truck. Don't know that I can claim it was the VOV only, but that was by far the coldest GMT400 a/c I have ever been in. I also put the Larger Burban condenser in it and new Comp.

I know I put one in a 93 gasser a couple of weeks ago and it made the air hotter all around than it was with the fixed orifice in it. I'm running a SANDEN compressor now on my BURB and it works great with a fixed orifice. I do have dual air though. The SUBURBAN condensor is a worth while upgrade for a truck as it will make the air ALOT colder. Also the new style condenser's are more efficent and much smaller than the old header tank type.

Back