• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Van turbo swap

Wasn't someone playing with new wheels in the gm line? Is the problem wheel design or the shape of the housing, or both.

I think its that the GM X is physically to small to perform. Not sure on the wheels

Yeah turbovan man bought a wicked wheel for the gm-6, which is what is in all the vans and hummers, at least pre-p400. I know he said the better wheel help a little on the top end, can't remember what else it did off hand. I also would like to find out how else to let one breathe a little better on upper end.

Definitely get a 4" exhaust in there. I've seen that difference in a van and a hummer and I have the parts to do all mine except the muffler.

I spoke to Dennis a couple years back about an ATT, but the 95 and older hummers would have to have a small body lift, and I'm a whined about that. You might talk to him about that in your van, It will pay for itself in fuel savings, then all the power added on is a FREEBIE!

If you do going to a different turbo, PLEASE post it here. I would love to see any other options. I am thinking of educating myself more to learn what improvements I could make to this unit to help it out.

What re you looking for, lower end- upper- or all of it?

Do you have a factory turbo van already? If yes, options are severely limited unless your good at fabrication. The stock turbo is a turd due to a small compressor wheel and small ar for the exhaust. I did put a billet compressor wheel on a customers 98 and he tows heavy, he noticed a bit of improvement.
The only other way is to completely redesign the stock setup which can be done but you'll need to , mount a regular turbo back there, redo the up pipes and down pipe, fabricate new drains and the easiest part, a new oil feed.

Back