• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

value of running 85 6.2L w/ 700R4 4x4 version, no gears except reverse.

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, story time

The same guy I bought the 1999 engine and front clip, and the 1991 6.2L and matching truck called me tonight with a deal.

His co-worker at john deere has a dodge cummins, and feels bad firing it up in the winter, and running it through the salt, so he wants a gas beater.

now, the buddy, and the guy I bought the stuff from is looking for a rig for his buddy.
he found a 85 gmc 6.2L 700R4 4x4. story goes, the guys were going down the road, and lost all forward gears. drove it two miles home in reverse! parked it, sat for about two years, jd mechanic bought it.

plan is to drop in a 350, and a good 700r4 for a run around rig for his buddy.

so, he has a supposedly good running 85 6.2L and a 700R4 core, and he wants 300 bucks, as long as it runs good. he is going to use this big battery boosting unit at JD to fire it off without using ether.

So i was wondering, is the combo worth 300, and do you think the 700R4 is rebuildable?

thanks guys!

Its worth the 300. So long as the 700r case wasn't damaged, anything else can be replaced. Is the transfer case coming with it?

The motor alone is worth it. The trans is junk. it's the first gen 700 and they are worthless garbage. Even the later ones sucked but could be built a little. Buy the motor, scrap the trans.

I'd try for lower on the engine. Tranny was junk when new.

I offered 200 on the engine, and he replyed with 300 for the package, and he didnt act like he would take the offer without me taking the transmission off his hands. so do you think 250 for the pair?

also, can any 6.2L injection pump be used on a 92-93 6.5L turbo? (other than turning up the screw of course)

What was the issues with the 700R4 exactly?

also, is this a good casting era to use the shortblock in a 6.2/ 6.5L combo buildup?

TH700R4

Forward clutch is smoked. Plenty rebuildable.

3-4 clutch was their weakest link.

Retrofitters usually louse up the TV cable mounting/bracketry.. Trans failure quickly follows.

They can be built to hold up behind some serious power.

so I wouldnt be an idiot to fix this 700R4 to stuff in a project 91 2500 ld with the 6.2L? or am i running into sensor issues trying to put it in the 1991, or is there even any sensors other than VSS? is there a lockup TCC?

and do any 6.2L blocks have the right hookups for a turbo other than 599 6.2Ls? I am debating about which engine to build up for 6.5L turbo replacement, and which to put in the above rig to run around stock. I do have a 91 660 block (out of that truck), will this have the right oiling for a GM turbo system, or am I going to have to custom route both?

thanks for the advice guys!

$250-$300 bucks for the lot ??? yeah grab it, block alone is worth that, should be okay since it was a running take out, heck the core value on trans is $100+

Provided the story was true that it was good RTO when removed, there should be enough good stuff there for a 6.35 build, (6.2 lower with 6.5 upper stuff) same thing Bill is running in his LSR and Diesel Depot build.

Rebuild the 6.2 heads and sell to a 6.2 guy that wants them or if healthy sell as is, I think you'll be able to break even or make some coins

As far as a good casting lot not enough info provided to know that, but even then it's a roll of the dice, even the "preferred block lots" have had fails

Hooking up the oiling for the turbo is a non issue. The 6.5 used an electric fuel pump and had the turbo drain running to the old mechanical fuel pump port on the side of the block. Supplying the turbo is just a matter of putting a tee on the back drivers side of the block where the oil pressure sending unit is.
100_0783.jpg

Mechanical fuel pump port
100_0784.jpg

6.5 turbo oil drain assembly
100_0813.jpg

You can see my oil supply line in this pic. Its alright for now but i want to replace it with an AN line sometime.

Forward clutch is smoked. Plenty rebuildable.

3-4 clutch was their weakest link.

Retrofitters usually louse up the TV cable mounting/bracketry.. Trans failure quickly follows.

They can be built to hold up behind some serious power.

convertors were junk too. Let's put it this way, when they came out in the early to mid 80's Advance Adaptors made a small fortune selling a TH350 conversion kit and th350's were real scare ....Tranny shops would not even touch the 700's

so I wouldnt be an idiot to fix this 700R4 to stuff in a project 91 2500 ld with the 6.2L? or am i running into sensor issues trying to put it in the 1991, or is there even any sensors other than VSS? is there a lockup TCC?

Nope you're not an idiot. No other sensors. Be super anal about the TV cable and it's proper adjustment. Lockup can be done like the pic below. Or you can use a simple toggle and learn to drive it that way. TH700R4's can lock up in 2, 3, & 4. Note that the trans plug wire used is the front outer pin.

diagram_no_tow.jpg

and do any 6.2L blocks have the right hookups for a turbo other than 599 6.2Ls? I am debating about which engine to build up for 6.5L turbo replacement, and which to put in the above rig to run around stock. I do have a 91 660 block (out of that truck), will this have the right oiling for a GM turbo system, or am I going to have to custom route both?

thanks for the advice guys!

Here is how I ran my 6.2 turbo oil:

turbo oil.jpgturbo oil2.jpg

I had an 85 Suburban with a 700R4. Trans. started to slip into 3rd only while towing a 69 nova on a 16' car trailer. So at 120K miles I rebuilt it, put in a corvette servo and shift kit. Truck was lifted with 36" tires. I wheeled, mudded, and towed the Nova a lot with it. At 230K it started to do the same thing in 3rd, So I bought a GM trans for $1250. Sold the truck at 260K because it wouldn't pull our toy hauler very well. I was happy with the 700R4. The overdrive was nice to have and first gear is lower than in a 350 or 400. The way I beat that thing after I had it rebuilt, it had every right to show signs of wear a little over a 100K on the rebuild.

There is very little difference between turboing a 6.2 and turboing a 92 or 93 N/A 6.5. I think $300 for the motor and trans is a pretty good price. Bring the trans to the scrap yard and you still have a running engine for a pretty decent price. I guess you could ask to look at the block for cracks to set your mind easy.

There is very little difference between turboing a 6.2 and turboing a 92 or 93 N/A 6.5. I think $300 for the motor and trans is a pretty good price. Bring the trans to the scrap yard and you still have a running engine for a pretty decent price. I guess you could ask to look at the block for cracks to set your mind easy.

x-2, that is a good way to lower the price even more, when we check blocks for cracks, we demand to pull the pan and check.... if the seller will not do this, we explain that we will only pay core price for it due to the large amount of cracked blocks out there.... won a few, lost a few...

deal is on standby for now, the cummins driver likes the ol 6.2L and is keeping it as is!:cool:

they fixed or replaced the trans. I am guessing.

Back