• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Used Engine - Sitting on HB and oil pan

coxpn2

coxpn2
Reaction score
Quick question (hopefully!)
I found an engine kicking around here that piqued my interest. However, it has been sitting for around a year on the oil pan and harmonic balancer. Is that bad?

I'm not worried about the pan, but is it possible the HB is damaged from all of that weight? My assumption would be yes, but then what if whoever set it down dropped it rather aggressively? Would that damage the crank?

I'm looking for one to rebuild for the suburban in case that blows up... this one is a 599 block (10149599#), although he said it was out of a '95, so not sure what is up with that.

Anyway...The engine is out of the truck, so there isn't much I can do to check anything at this point as far as the crank goes...

Any thoughts?

You should plan on replacing the damper anyway. Get a factory GM damper, the Dorman ones are not as good. Any dents in the pan can be pushed out. If it sat outside, it could get water in the bores, so make sure it turns freely.

Based on you not pulling the engine: The fact that you see it sitting on the hb should mean nothing. Could be in any condition. Complete tear down is in order. Scott is correct on replacing the balancer. On most engines its something you can risk, not on these.

I figured on tearing it down completely, but I'm wondering if it sitting on the HB means that I'll probably need a new crank to? Or is it really hard to hurt the crank by dropping/sitting on the HB...?

Wont hurt the crank, but HB ? yes its possible the weight flatend/deformed the rubber.

599 came in 1992-1995 iirc.

To restate: I agree 100% with the teardown, that would be the plan from the beginning.

The question was regarding the condition of the HB and crank... looks like (from general consensus) the HB definitely needs to be replaced, but the crank probably was not hurt simply by the weight sitting on it (although it could be bad for other reasons).
Thanks!

ill speak from experience here but id have the crank magnifluxed if you do completely tear it down. I had one that looked perfect and ended up snapping on me 2000 mi after I put it in, it must have had a crack that I didn't catch

Back