• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upper Control Arm Removal

You know I want, but I have limited space in garage(s). It is on the plans to build a second garage for Montana because wife and I want a UTV and indoor storage for all cars. Second garage also in the plans for Fullerton, though I may veto as I don't know how long we will keep that home.
Friend at work just went through this a year ago- so just changing the location names using his solution:

Sell the Fullerton place for a small hotel sized place. With the left over $, add bigger garage at son’s house so when you and he are there there is the space and tools, best is an over the garage room instead of different part of town. Then build the dream garage in Montana. Because you onow visiting the grandkids are the only reason your gonna go to Fullerton after retiring in a couple years...

Then years down road when you and her are dirt farmin, kids gets the economic benefit, especially if you do the garage build their as a business plan that may fail...

Friend at work just went through this a year ago- so just changing the location names using his solution:

Sell the Fullerton place for a small hotel sized place. With the left over $, add bigger garage at son’s house so when you and he are there there is the space and tools, best is an over the garage room instead of different part of town. Then build the dream garage in Montana. Because you onow visiting the grandkids are the only reason your gonna go to Fullerton after retiring in a couple years...

Then years down road when you and her are dirt farmin, kids gets the economic benefit, especially if you do the garage build their as a business plan that may fail...

I still feel like I have a foot in two states. I don’t make decisions abruptly, always done with careful thought. I mean we spent 9 years looking and digesting on places in Montana. So we’ll see how this goes.

For the $100, just leave it sit outside. I have with mine, sits on the driveway next to the garage and Burb for the last 2½ years. It survived last February's Polar Vortex just fine with the days of -25°F and -31°F lows. Nothing has rusted on it and it works perfectly fine, just used it the other day to press out a bearing for a neighbor. If I ever get around to clearing some of the stuff out of the garage, I'll drag the press in there.

Hydraulics survives just fine outside in the wilds.
Just retract the rods so they are not exposed, like the rod that does all the press work of the jack and the pump piston. If the chromium of those are exposed and rust, turns them to trash quite rapidly.
On the 59 Power Wagon, I have a pump hoist set up on the edge of the bed, I oiled the tongue of an old boot and tied it over the jack portion of the ram. Keeps Snow, rain and moisture off of it and out of the top seal.

Back