• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upgraded Duramax On The Way??

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
There's NO WAY IN HELL that that is going to be a Production Hood though...

http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2014...o+GM+Duramax&utm_content=spy+photo+GM+Duramax

It's cool to see them keep wanting to bump up the power in the trucks, but quite honestly, it's getting ridiculous. Pretty soon, these trucks are going to BASE at $60k. They are literally forcing their Customers into Gas Trucks with the Pricing. There's no need whatsoever for the Pricing Increases. What, the Motor & Trans are essentially the same as they've always been, just with different Tuning. Ok, I think we all know a higher power tune on these trucks DOES NOT cost a couple grand....and an "upgraded converter" to handle to new power, oh, you mean a Billet Single Disk? That's what, $800??

Even if I COULD afford that and wanted to pay that much, I wouldn't buy it BECAUSE of the hood...

Its about like the muscle cars of the early 70's. It is getting crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if the gov't doesn't step in pretty soon to limit the HP some kind of way maybe fuel guzzler tax.

That's just a disguise for the actual hood. Ties in with the strange paint pattern to trick the eye.. me thinks.. :dunno:

That is ugly. There are much better ways that the enginers could get more air into the engine! They need to take an aesthetics/style course in engineering school. yuck!

In the race for more power and towing numbers the MPG is getting lost with diesel pickups. The 1/2 ton arena may be the place to look for MPG minded diesel pickup.

Are you really going to switch brands over X HP/X FT LBS/tow rating from the factory? :skep:

Kodiak, Freightliner, 5500, etc. series trucks where CDL is optional is now being replaced by the capacity of 3/4 ton pickups. 3/4 ton for license plate fee savings of course.

I mean why not buy a Freightliner (the cost is getting close) with a better fuel filter system from the factory and a CAT engine expected to last longer as well as everything else on the truck? At 250 - 300 K not only is the Duramax life questionable, but, the rest of the truck is pretty tired and expensive via parts to keep rolling.

Regardless the government has already steeped in. Emissions for diesels like the ULSD requirement has made diesel way more expensive. You pay for this even with a gas vehicle at the store because the fuel surcharge to ship things has gone up.

Am with WW, if I am going to actually tow heavy just for fun, the Freightliner is much more appealing than any of the 'Big 3' diesels. A friend had a Freightliner and IIRC he got 11 MPG with or without his 30' RV in back. Bonus with the Freightliner is that when (not if) the trailer / toad loses its brakes, stopping is a non-event.

To me, a serious light duty truck line offers two things:
> a diesel with more torque and better MPG than a comparable gasser.
> a clutch.

Overall, the 6.5 TD with its measly 190 HP looks more appealing all the time :D

Cooling for areas like this Freightliner wins.

An LLY Duramax will be passed by a modified 6.5 on the grades, not for lack of power, but lack of cooling. (the 6.5 will have the AC on: the LLY the heater on with the windows down.) Even the LMM's run really hot out here and ruin their engine oil, ruin aftermarket oil cooler hoses, boil the passenger battery, bake and split cooling system hoses. Gear choice by downshifting more would have helped cooling, but, GM asleep at the wheel and canceled the EV cooling fan clutch that was planned for 2008... Not that GM would have programmed it properly anyway. Even Dodge slipped there EV programming letting the AC get too hot and purging out the high side relief by not enough fan.

But, the 6.5 can't tow as much as the modern diesels.

I'm 99% certain I saw one today going through Macon Georgia. It had Georgia tags on it, but the body lines were slightly different, had factory projector headlights in it, the same exhaust that is pictured in this article(not the normal megaphone type ike I have seen on other LMM/LML's), and a ALLISON DURAMAX emblem that was COMPLETELY different from any I have ever seen. I even googled the 2014 emblems, and this one was different from it. It had no camo or anything on it, and was running empty. When he passed me the radio/GPS display looked to have like some data recorder going. Wish I could have gotten some pics of it.

I wouldn't think that will be a factory hood....way too ugly. They could just start using vents in the original hoods and maybe the fenders to allow more air flow. The new trucks are priced way out of my budget. I will keep driving my 04 GMC with 405k miles.

I'm 99% certain I saw one today going through Macon Georgia. It had Georgia tags on it, but the body lines were slightly different, had factory projector headlights in it, the same exhaust that is pictured in this article(not the normal megaphone type ike I have seen on other LMM/LML's), and a ALLISON DURAMAX emblem that was COMPLETELY different from any I have ever seen. I even googled the 2014 emblems, and this one was different from it. It had no camo or anything on it, and was running empty. When he passed me the radio/GPS display looked to have like some data recorder going. Wish I could have gotten some pics of it.
I've seen a few around. The megaphone is replaced with a large straight tip, they have the new bumper step and the new DMax logo on the hood side.

I've seen a few around. The megaphone is replaced with a large straight tip, they have the new bumper step and the new DMax logo on the hood side.

I've seen the new emblems, and these were quite a bit different. It looked like the 15, but the emblems were definately different on this one, and just something was slightly different about the grill from the pics of the 15 grille I have seen. I did see the 15 now has the different exhaust tip, and projector headlights now, this one I saw just had some subtle differences to it. Wish I could have snapped a pic or 2 of it.

And I was reading on another forum that the hood is supposed to make it into production for 2016.

Back