• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

UOA results

Chromer

Ain't no Recruit
Reaction score
And I am bummin...

9800 miles on the oil and 10300 on the truck. Sent it in to Blackstone labs for my first ever UOA, and I can't believe how high the copper was in the test results. 437 PPM, and normal according to Blackstone is 10. I freaked...

So, I called Blackstone and spent about 25 minutes on the phone with one of their people. She said I don't have to worry, but I do have to greatly decrease my next OCI, down to 3000 miles and it should come down a lot. I'll post the report when I get a chance.

Anyone else see numbers like this?

According to Blackstone, it could be part of the break in process for the duramax, and might be normal, but I wont know for a couple more oil changes. THey told me they expect the numbers to drop significantly in the next changes

Is this similar to the oil analysis that amsoil will do, or is it a separate company that analyzes your oil? I wouldn't mind sending mine in. I'm creeping up on 10k and would like to see what's happing inside.

Normal.

Considering that this is only your second oil change + you've run the oil for 9800 miles since new you are still shedding copper from the oil cooler. The copper will trend down. The copper isn't a true "wear" reading....it's a false wear reading.

Doing a blackstone this early in the game tells you nothing. Honestly it's all breakin. Don't bother again until around 30k. Save some money!!

Try not extending your intervals to far during breakin either. The copper can really eat the TBN and cause your oil to not do it's job effectively.

I'm and amsoil dealer and will only use Blackstone. They are by far the best lab

I've seen in the past where people with low mileage engines post their UOA results and they get the same high copper levels. The consensus seems to be that it's from the oil cooler like Ark said.

Oil cooler and the normal break in is whats showing here. Waste of money, I would say no. What you have now is a good baseline to refer to. If you stay with Blackstone you will see a side by side comparison of your samples. When I was running regular Dino I changed the oil and filter every 5K as well as doing a UOA every time. Is this overboard sure it is but I knew what was going on and that there was no fuel or water in the oil. Just my .02

Last edited:
The ONLY reasons I say it's a waste of time is for one, it's under warranty who cares. 2nd you can't get a base line with breakin. 30k really is a great point to be get UOA reports. Start on synthetics at 15K

Normal.

Considering that this is only your second oil change + you've run the oil for 9800 miles since new you are still shedding copper from the oil cooler. The copper will trend down. The copper isn't a true "wear" reading....it's a false wear reading.

Thanks for all the replys, guys. I haven't been on for awhile...

Ark, that's the kind of feed back I was hoping to hear. I am cutting my next interval to 4k, which is NOW, and will send another sample to Blackstone.

BTW, poster who referenced copper eating the TBN, I had them check it, and at 9800 miles, I was still at 3.4, so the oil was still very good. Blackstone says it's serviceable until 1.0

This is interesting info. I switched to Amsoil before I moved south and currently have close to 3000 miles on it since I switched from Valvoline Premium Blue. I'm not sure how long to run this stuff or even if it burns any. I should get my ass outside and check it one of these days.

Where do you guys get these oil samples at and where does the oil come from? Are you sticking a tube or something down the dip stick and sucking some out?

Where do you guys get these oil samples at and where does the oil come from? Are you sticking a tube or something down the dip stick and sucking some out?

You can go to http://www.blackstone-labs.com and they will send you a sample bottle to fill and return to return to them. the sample can be drawn up the dipstick tube, or sample while changing the oil. I think the most used method would be the old Fumoto Valve.

Nick your best bet would be to purchase a Fumoto Valve. With the truck running and hot pull your sample.

FYI in your Dmax you can easily go 15k with amsoil Diesel marine 15-40 and an eao52. I would pull your sample at 15k or call it good and change it at 15k.

Sample will run you 25 bux including shipping. I have over 80 analysis through blackstone and would think of using any other company to do my testing.

Back