• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Unexplained engine stall with rough restart w/o power

as3usna

Reaction score
Guys:

My wife was just running down the road and the engine quit with no warning. Thought maybe she ran out of Diesel or bad filter. Replaced filter (it was due) and was able to get the engine started (using normal out of gas purge), but the engine ran really rough and would stall upon shifting into gear and would stall if accelerator was pressed to increase RPM. Replaced IP about three years ago at the dealer (probably was PMD) and have relocated the PMD as recommended by Heath.

Several months ago, I did get a code P251 and parked the vehicle. After two months (I needed the vehicle) it started fine and has run fine with normal mileage since with no codes or lights coming on after start. No codes of SES light were evident during this event.

If it is the IP fine, but if there is something else that can be tried with a lower cost, please let me know. Our getting to a Family Reunion is in jeopardy, your help is appreciated.

Bill Heath spent a great deal of time by phone helping to diagnose and was reluctant to recommend replacement of the IP, but could come up with no other conclusion based upon the results of that process.

Truck Info

I think I got the signature right, but some additional information. The IP was replaced at the dealer three years ago (probably due to PMD). Had to throw cold water on the IP to get it to start (about a year ago) and replaced PMD and relocated per Heath Diesel. About 6 months ago, the SES light came on and threw the P0251 code and the engine ran rough with no power and stalled when putting in gear. Left it sit for about 2 months, then needed vehicle and went to my office where I had left it and it started fine and ran fine and was such until it died on my wife June1. It will start, but is rough and cannot shift in to gear nor have any accelerator response.

Let me know if you need more information and I will try to supply.

Thanks,

Lift Pump Check

Lift Pump Operational and I get fuel from the filter when ignition turned on (w/o start) and when running from the T valve from IP. Do not know output pressure (no gage available).

Take a look at the wiring harness connections around the IP: 8wire OS harness, 6wire FSD harness, 4wire TSM harness, 3wire CPS harness, etc - make sure each connector is fully seated, then disconnect and check for oxidation\corrosion, etc - if all clean, reconnect

Also check the PCM wiring harness at the lower firewall on the turbo-side, where it crosses the ac line - look for damaged insulation, bare wires, etc

Back