• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Uh oh!!!

Mezmorized

Reaction score
I think it's over... I was heading home from work tonight, A/C on high and music turned up. Something was making noise :skep: I turned the A/C and radio off and it was sounding like the fan wanted to go through the rad!! :eek: I revved up the engine and the noise would go away. So I was thinking maybe it was the DE exhaust that started rubbing under the truck like some people have posted. So I kept an eye on the gauges and kept an ear peeled... well, there were more grinding noises here and there so I pulled over again, opened the hood and it was LOUD! I turned the engine off and tried to see what was going on... Everything looked ok, no pulleys falling off, fan was fine, etc... I started it back up again and put my head under the truck. I could tell it was coming from the back of the engine or the front of the tranny. But it would go away when I would be driving. So as I'm getting home, I get around the curve and now it's like the tranny is slipping. I look behind me and there's oil following me. I pull/coast into my driveway and shut it off, look underneath and there is ALOT of oil coming out the back of the engine... AND it's engine oil!!! My step son tried to see if he could find a crack in the block... nothing, but he did find what I think is a torque converter bolt under the truck. I had the tranny rebuilt last December so who knows. I need to let it cool down and take the inspection cover off the tranny to see what's going on.

But now I have to find a way into work and that looks like the end of my drag racing season.

Your sure it's engine oil? You could've busted the flexplate. I'd double those odds if you found a torque converter bolt under the truck. Pull the inspection cover and see.

It's engine oil alright. That's what I plan on doing tomorrow, pull the inspection cover and see. A friend told me that it may have just been a double whammy and I may have blown an oil cooler line or maybe the OPS.

I vote Flexplate...

when the flexplate on my dmax went...it did exactly what you are describing but mine didn't bust through the block adapter causing loss of fluids...I don't know whats on the back of a 6.5 block that would allow fluid loss, so I wouldn't say it is 100% a flexplate issue

Well lets hope it wasn't complete oil line fail as things get ugly fast with a oil line fail on 6.5, flex plates on the 6.5 are not common fail points, but common enough to warrant a looksee as that is pretty much the only "noise maker" in that area, possibly starter bolts broken then causing flex plate then oil seal issues all guesses @ this point, hard to diagnose this one remotely via the web.

It never got close to overheating since I've owned it anyway.

The oil started pouring out of the engine just around the corner from my place, I checked it right away and it was down 2 quarts. I had fueled up just before heading home and checked the oil at that point and it was right on the full mark. It stopped leaking as soon as I shut the engine off.

I haven't touched anything yet but I did take a look under the truck. The oil filter and surrounding area is soaked with oil, and the inspection cover is full of dings like something's been trying to get out. I'm wondering if anything may have poked a hole through the front of the inspection cover and pierced the oil filter.

I'm glad the crossover pipe was replaced last summer, otherwise I wouldn't want to be touching those crossover pipe studs.

Ok, first thing I did was drop the oil filter cuz I was thinking that would be the closest thing that would get shrapnel from the inspection cover and sure enough, there were 2 dings in the filter and one was through the metal. next I loosened off the crossover pipe and jiggled it enough to drop the inspection cover. The converter is no longer attached to the flexplate and there are a few things in the bottom of the inspection cover. One and a half torque converter bolts, a brass bushing that's split in two and two little chunks of either transmission case or engine block. The flexplate has elongated bolt holes now too. I think I'll find some bolts for it, bolt it all back together, put another oil filter on it and call the tranny place that rebuilt the tranny last December.

once they are elongated you need to replace the flexplate...you can use loctite on new bolts for a temporary fix (won't last long) to get it to a shop if need be...

the peices of cast type material could be from a collar on the flywheel that holds the flexplate centered...

here are a couple pics of mine...it came apart and messed up the flywheel collar...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok, first thing I did was drop the oil filter cuz I was thinking that would be the closest thing that would get shrapnel from the inspection cover and sure enough, there were 2 dings in the filter and one was through the metal. next I loosened off the crossover pipe and jiggled it enough to drop the inspection cover. The converter is no longer attached to the flexplate and there are a few things in the bottom of the inspection cover. One and a half torque converter bolts, a brass bushing that's split in two and two little chunks of either transmission case or engine block. The flexplate has elongated bolt holes now too. I think I'll find some bolts for it, bolt it all back together, put another oil filter on it and call the tranny place that rebuilt the tranny last December.

I would maybe give them a call before fixing it.

once they are elongated you need to replace the flexplate...you can use loctite on new bolts for a temporary fix (won't last long) to get it to a shop if need be...

the peices of cast type material could be from a collar on the flywheel that holds the flexplate centered...

here are a couple pics of mine...it came apart and messed up the flywheel collar...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm not sure but I think mine is only one piece though... I'll have to get a better look tomorrow.

Back