• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Uh Oh... Lift Pump not noisy anymore

rooski

Smoke on the water
Reaction score
Well, here's the next few bucks needing spending !!
Sounds like my LP went silent. I knew I should have bought a spare to be prepared.
Now I have to wait to drive it cause I dont want to starve the IP.

It's only 15 miles to the GM store, but should I risk it or should I be fine? Truck starts and runs fine still.

Thoughts anyone?
:nonod:

you should be fine going 15 miles. most people dont realize their lp is not working until they go over 2500 rpms and the engine falls flat on its face. for those people who knows how long their lp was out

Try bypassing the OPS and everything, and running a power line directly to the LP, first.

If the LP fires up, start working back through the system...

If not, then yeah, you have an LP issue. You can probably drive it, but don't push it at all. Injection Pumps aren't good at pulling fuel along. Lack of an LP won't kill your IP like on a Dodge, but it ain't good for things.

OK.. Sounds good. Its all flat along the way to town so I should be good then.
I'll do a quick check in the morning on the OPS to make sure the pump is getting power to it and not being cut out by the OPS failing.

It was getting pretty noisy lately and I figured it was getting to the point of giving out.

Oh well, either way its an easy fix and not bad dollars.

Don't do it. Getting noisy is running out of fuel! If you do, don't shut it off or open the fuel tank to add fuel, the pressure in the tank may be all that is keeping you going. Learned this the hard way.

guess i'll take the hummer tomorrow instead, pick up the pump and install when i get home.
sucks !

thanks for the advice ! may have saved me from a tough day !

got it done. asked for the 93 pump but the dealer didnt have one in stock and said it would be a few days to get. bought the one for 98 for now.

all fixed and purring like a kitten.

Hey, thanks for the info. It was definitely the pump that took a crap.
The new one rumbles along without much noise and is delivering fuel nicely.

The Hummer is a gaspot. Just the little one with the 5 cylinder. POS for power but a comfortable ride that will go nearly anywhere it's nose will lead it !

Back