• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Twisted Steel Performance coated heater core

Nice update. I’ve replaced my core a couple times (mine was due to it getting plugged with crap). I just leave that back screw out - I applaud you actually getting that one back in!

If you REALLY want the mad output from a heater core, take your old one out or buy new and send it to a custom radiator shop that will recore it with dimple cores. Then send it to Chris for the coating. On that craptastical design of moving ports, ensure the direction/ location of the port is correct and mark it on the unit by scribing timing marks. Then have the radiator shop weld it like a normal heater core.

I have already thought about taking the o ring out and welding the tubes in place. If this one leaks at the o rings then that’s probably what I’m going to do. I can take it to work and weld it up if I need to. Hopefully this one will last a long time though.

I’m going to take my old one apart sometime this weekend hopefully to get a good look at where the tubes would be welded to the core.

That’s definitely not cheap but if you have to keep buying them every so often because of leaks then that one wouldn’t take long to pay for itself.

Not to steer this off topic, but if you're replacing your core, Jaryd, are you doing a write-up on the process? We used to have a really good one, but I believe the photos were linked to photobucket, so a good portion of the information was lost.

Not to steer this off topic, but if you're replacing your core, Jaryd, are you doing a write-up on the process? We used to have a really good one, but I believe the photos were linked to photobucket, so a good portion of the information was lost.

I knew that there was a write up already but didn’t think about the pictures are probably missing. I’ll try and do a write up with pictures this afternoon in a new thread.

Take one of the tubes apart and find an o-ring in it. They are designed to move...

Well, the new heater core is leaking already. On the way to the hospital to see my little girl and was about 10 minutes from being there and started smelling antifreeze. Once I got there I could see coolant in the floorboard.

Looks like I’m going to have to attempt to weld up where the o rings go. I’ll have to see if the welder at work can be cut down enough to weld this thin aluminum.

This has nothing to do with the coating that Twistedsteel Performance did just in case anyone is wondering. It has everything to do with nobody making a decent heater core without paying sever hundred dollars for it.

Well, the new heater core is leaking already. On the way to the hospital to see my little girl and was about 10 minutes from being there and started smelling antifreeze. Once I got there I could see coolant in the floorboard.

Looks like I’m going to have to attempt to weld up where the o rings go. I’ll have to see if the welder at work can be cut down enough to weld this thin aluminum.

This has nothing to do with the coating that Twistedsteel Performance did just in case anyone is wondering. It has everything to do with nobody making a decent heater core without paying sever hundred dollars for it.
Dammit! There are enough of these trucks out there that it seems like someone could make a decent heater core for a reasonable price! Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Dammit! There are enough of these trucks out there that it seems like someone could make a decent heater core for a reasonable price! Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Thanks man. It does suck. I’m going to try and find a early 90’s truck or suburban at the junkyard for the core if I can’t weld my core up.

She’s doing a whole lot better than the doctors thought she would be at this time. They said that there’s a chance she can go home today. She has a pic line in her arm that goes into her chest ( like a iv line ) and they have to show us how to use it to give her medicine in it and how to keep it clean before we can go home. They make sure that we are comfortable giving her the medicine in the pic line before they let us leave.

Whatever medicine they use to get the fluid out from around the brain worked great and the steroids and whatever else they gave her to get the infection out of her spine worked great to. The doctors told us that this is probably the fastest recovery of this diagnosis that they have ever seen. There has been many many people praying for her and prayers are what’s truly going to help.

She’s doing a whole lot better than the doctors thought she would be at this time. They said that there’s a chance she can go home today. She has a pic line in her arm that goes into her chest ( like a iv line ) and they have to show us how to use it to give her medicine in it and how to keep it clean before we can go home. They make sure that we are comfortable giving her the medicine in the pic line before they let us leave.

Whatever medicine they use to get the fluid out from around the brain worked great and the steroids and whatever else they gave her to get the infection out of her spine worked great to. The doctors told us that this is probably the fastest recovery of this diagnosis that they have ever seen. There has been many many people praying for her and prayers are what’s truly going to help.
Wow!! That doesn’t sound like any fun at all, but so happy to hear it’s going as well as it can. Just what you needed was transportation problems on top of that. I’m hoping the worst is past for you.

@Twisted Steel Performance will I be able to sand off the coating around the bottom of the tubes and the top of the core in order to weld it up or is there some other way to remove the coating where I need to weld

Wow I hope I didn't miss you posting about your daughter somewhere else. Here's hoping and praying all works out for you guys. Really sucks when it's kids getting sick like that. What did she have?

@Twisted Steel Performance will I be able to sand off the coating around the bottom of the tubes and the top of the core in order to weld it up or is there some other way to remove the coating where I need to weld

If you have something else to drive for a couple days, get it out and take it to Brenda like last time, I will attempt to weld it for you and if you have time I will recoat it for you all free.. I can do it at work during my break, if it can be welded I'm sure I can manage... feel free to call if ya need to...

Back