• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Twisted Steel Performance coated heater core

Wow I hope I didn't miss you posting about your daughter somewhere else. Here's hoping and praying all works out for you guys. Really sucks when it's kids getting sick like that. What did she have?
Yea I missed it too, he might have mentioned it, but we are thinking about Jaryd and his family for sure.

If he needs some kind of help in anyway I am on board.

I posted it over in the prayer thread.

Here’s what happened.

My 3 year old daughter was a normal little girl Friday night. She wouldn’t stay in the bed so we fussed at her a few times and then she finally went to sleep. Saturday morning we knew she was sleeping later than normal but didn’t think much about it since she stayed awake a little longer then usual. Around 10 my wife goes to check on her and can’t wake her up. She tried everything and she wouldn’t wake up. It was just like she was in a coma.

We rushed her to the ER in Greenwood SC, checked in and a lady came to look at her and when she seen the shape she was in she literally jerked my daughter out of my arms and started hollering for doctors and told us to follow her. She ran to a room in the back of the ER and kept hollering for doctors. She said “ I know y’all are scared, I am to”. I told her I know there is a problem but please don’t say that to my wife again, at least not yet until a doctor sees her. My wife was already freaking out and that just made it a whole lot worse when she said that.

Doctors come in and start checking all her vitals and my daughter still hasn’t opened her eyes or talked anything yet. They couldn’t get her to respond to anything that they tried. They did a spinal tap and iv lines in both arms and several shots and my daughter never moved.

They rushed her and my wife in a ambulance to the children’s hospital in Greenville SC and I followed them in my truck. They found out that she had bacterial meningitis in her spine and swelling and fluid around the brain. It wound up being a very rare form of bacterial meningitis. It went from her nose to her brain and then traveled down to her spine. They had iv going in both arms at the same time until Monday. She opened her eyes late Saturday night and started talking again a little later.

The doctors say that we got her to the ER at the right time because there could have been some serious damage if we would have waited much longer. The children’s hospital doctors did everything just right and all the prayers that were prayed has gotten her where she’s at. I’m sitting beside her typing this and she’s coloring a princess coloring book right now. They say that this type of bacterial meningitis is rare. They told us that they don’t think they have ever seen a child recover this quick from this sickness and that we will be going home tomorrow most likely.

It was the scariest thing I have ever been through in my life because I thought my daughter was dying and she was a normal little girl just the night before.

If you have something else to drive for a couple days, get it out and take it to Brenda like last time, I will attempt to weld it for you and if you have time I will recoat it for you all free.. I can do it at work during my break, if it can be welded I'm sure I can manage... feel free to call if ya need to...

I’ll take you up on that. Hopefully my daughter can come home tomorrow. If she does that’ll give me time to get it out this week and hopefully bring it to Mrs. Brenda on Monday. You can take your time with it because I just looped the two heater core lines together and put a pex ball valve in between them when my core was leaking last time. That’s what I’m going to do this time until I can get the core back in there. I surely do appreciate the offer and I’ll leave her a tip for you when I drop it off. I don’t hardly drive my 6.5 during the week since I have the work truck so no need to be in a rush. I really do appreciate it.

Jaryd, is your insurance covering all of this for your daughter? Sounds mighty expensive... If you need something, say so please. You know we're all family here.

My insurance does cover it but we have a high deductible. She has a “pic” line in her arm ( iv that goes all the way to her heart). My daughter is being sent home tomorrow hopefully and we have to hook a big ball of medicine to the line coming out of her arm once a day until sometime in March. They are going to deliver the medicine to our house everyday. The financial lady at the hospital called me today and said that it would be $45 a day and asked me if we were paying that with cash or check everyday. I told her no way we could pay that everyday so they put us on a payment plan. We should meet the deductible with all this that’s going on so once we do it will help.

Thanks man. We are a big family here and it shows

Your right Jaryd it's a big family here, for the most part we all get along, ocassionally some might have a different point of view, but that's fine.

We are not like other forums where some people think they are king almighty and their truck is better than the rest, they try to belittle others. When it all comes down to it, their just a keyboard commando sitting big behind their computer acting tough. Truth is you could throw em into a briar patch they would start crying mommy, daddy. Then the ants would start crawling up their legs wanting to eat their candy arse.

Last edited:
Things are replaceable.

Loved ones, not so much.

Truly glad that your daughter is back from the brink. Now that y'all have gotten a glimpse into the abyss, the biggest challenge going forward is to avoid either spoiling her, or over-protection from the smallest of things . . . She still needs to learn how grow out of the adult-in-training stage; ya-know ;)

Well, I don’t think welding up the heater core is going to work out. It ain’t leaking around the oring like I thought it would be. I pressurized it with my hose pipe and I can’t tell if it’s leaking at the top of one of the tubes or where the tube is attached to the top of the core. It’s hard to tell especially by the pictures

I wedged a trash bag under the heater core to stop as much antifreeze from getting under the floor mat that I could then threw a rag on the trash bag to soak it up on my way home from the hospital. It helped a little. If you look close you can see two different steady streams of coolant running out. I made it home that night by pulling over 4 times to fill up the reservoir. I Made the over a hour trip home from the hospital with no problem.

I temporarily fixed it by bypassing the core with a 1/2” pex ball valve. This is the second time in less than a year that this pex ball valve has been used for this.

I’m going to look at my receipt and see if it has a warranty. As cheap as they are made I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t come with one.

The first one I bought Chris (Twistedsteel Performance) called me and said that there was a problem with it. The tubes would spin almost all the way around. I took it back and went to several parts houses and every one I looked at would spin like that or the tubes were barely crimped on and I finally found one at the second or third Napa that wouldn’t spin to easy and it was crimped a lot better. I looked at a bunch of them before I finally bought this one.

For everyone else, the copper one Chris found is probably the answer.

But for Jaryd, If Chris can weld it up still- awesome. If not, I would try a patch.
Do a homemade sand blaster from waterbottle and some 180 grit sand. Then hit it with a light coat of jb weld.

Sounds hokey, but I have had radiators last years on it. Even one my cousin had that had a cracked head so we put on a 20lbs cap and it ran at 250 (gasser). The jb weld held for over 10 years till he chucked the truck.

If they do warranty it, your out the coating.

Back