• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turning up timing, dirty fuel, egt's.

Nessmuk

Reaction score
Finally got the truck out and did a long run and some towing.
It pulls great. Boost is up to 12. EGTs go up to 1100 quick and would go higher. There is a cloud of grey when they boost is up. Should I advance the timing?
Next, I had to stop twice and clean fuel screens and drain the sediment bowl, plus one set of filters just in case. It's getting big flakes of black. Looks like paint, about corn flakes size. I drained, dropped and checked the problem tank. Is it possible that I am seeing fuel hose lining? I used 30r14 Greenshield hose.

Tank lining falling off or something growing in the fuel.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/th...ulsd-and-biodiesel-this-can-affect-you.35096/

Make sure you have fuel pressure at the inlet of the DB2 pump. Lack of pressure or a vacuum screws up housing pressure as the IP vane pump pressure regulator is stupidly and cheaply referenced off the fuel inlet. Loss of housing pressure retards timing. Big black flakes plug s#it up and likely cause your problem. Check for air with a clear return line.

I assume you haven't blown a head gasket or cracked a head. How is the blowby on the engine as loss of compression or oil use can cause this. Check the CDR for oil being sent into the intake.

Next:

If white smoke is evident, connect a lead from battery plus ( + ) terminal to the cold advance solenoid terminal
on the injection pump (Figure No. 1). A noticeable change in engine sound will be evident. Activating the cold
advance solenoid increases the timing approximately three (3) degrees.

Check for white smoke. If no white smoke is evident or has reduced considerably, a change in timing setting
is required. If the smoke does not diminish, check for other causes of white smoke. (Assure each cylinder is
firing — start with a compression check.)

I've got a manual fuel pressure gauge post each filter and an electric one post and in the cab. No issues with that. I cleaned the pump screen on the roadside yesterday and did a full filter change. Added a pre pump screen and have a sediment bowl too, but the flakes float past that. If the coolant is still full, I'm going to try turning up the injection pump. I'd like to know which way to turn it. Also, how difficult is it to clean the inlet screen with the pump and intake all installed?

Advance is rotate to driver's side. Again jumper the Cold advance solenoid on first to make sure messing with timing will do what you want.

Which terminal? The front one is cold idle. There are two on the pass. side, one large and one further back and normal size. I know one is the advance and one is the fuel shut off.

Disconnect one with the engine running - engine quits is not the one we want. Should be furthest terminal back and connected to the fast idle.

hello,
My phonetook a swim, so my access here is limited...
I tried it and it made no difference. Is it possible it needs to be retarded to lower the smoke and temps?

You didn't mention what is your IP inlet fuel pressure. Assuming you are at 5, unplugging your Lift pump will drop it to 0 and cause a retard in timing. You could test what that does.

I know you're trying to deal with the smoke/egt, but I am more concerned about your cornflakes getting to the IP instead of the cereal bowl. If you are sure that the flakes are from the tank and that the filter is stopping 100%, then ok. But if it could be the fuel line coming apart from the inside, maybe the fuel line after the filter could be doing the same.

I really don't want to read a thread about trashing the ip probably almost as much as you don't want to write one...

If you are not sure where it is coming from- go buy some fuel line and start with the line between ffm and IP.

Well, to late...
Found ferrous metal shavings in the fuel bowl.

About 3/4 inch long and 1/8th wide. No clue why but obviously something got chewed up. Might be why I had white smoke too. I've ordered a moose junior pump. I hope my injectors are OK.

Well, to late...
Found ferrous metal shavings in the fuel bowl.

About 3/4 inch long and 1/8th wide. No clue why but obviously something got chewed up. Might be why I had white smoke too. I've ordered a moose junior pump. I hope my injectors are OK.

Pictures? What/where do you mean "fuel bowl"?

I took the injectors out and tore them down, one at a time. These are relatively recently rebuilt. I cleaned each with brake cleaner, blasting out all the ports and nozzles. Of the eight, 2 were dirty around the nozzles, inside the injectors body. One was stuck in it with dry sooty carbon and the other was gummy black soot. Other than that, everything else was clear and free, though at times oily and dark.
Are they like spark plugs in that you can ”read" them?

So, after I get it together and have tested the injectors...
Did I warm it up and advance the pump until it rattles, back it a mm and try it? Am I looking for gray smoke and high egts under boost to go away at the right advance amount?

Back