• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

turbomaster?

tj98gmc

Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place for this so please feel free to move it if need be,,

i just recently put a new boost solniod on my 98 6.5l last fall,,, i believe this new one went,,, so i was looking into putting a turbomaster on and just getting rid of the vacuum set up,,, but i really dont understand how the turbo master works,, if anyone could explain in some sort of detail it would be great,,

would it be better to buy on or make one?,, reason im asking is i just cant see spending $130 on a rod, spring, nut and two little brakets

Then fix the vac system to be cheap. Otherwise spend the coin for a better turbo. On vac systems th TM only costs you cruise MPG where the vac system can drop off boost. It can trip codes on stock tunes.

The TM is well designed and better than homemade stuff.

Here is the reason to buy a TM #1 it works #2 easily installed, #3 designed to reliably be installed without having to add gauges.

You could "home brew" your own but then you would have to come up with a spring that isn't too strong or too weak, determine the appropriate length rod and make a keeper and adjusting nut, and you would have to take time to make sure the setting was correct.

All doable many have done the home brew one just takes a little more time to do it correctly, especially without a boost fooler or reflashed PCM, as when your PCM will no longer be able to set boost where it wants to set the boost then you will code, also too much boost will give high IAT & defuel you, mpg could be negatively impacted, and extra stress on the engine if you fabricate a home brewed TM and set it too hard.

The KISS option would be to go with an engineered TM.

x2 with Tim TD.

TM just hold the boost pressure till the spring cannot hold it anymore.

The Heath's TM come with an instruction to put it at 2.5 inches spring length which put it in a safer turbo boost region.
Yes, it will code but at least you know it is caused by a working turbo and if it is set at the prescribed max pressure, it will not defuel or hinder any performance.

kennedydiesel also sells them cheaper and in blue.

I got a heath TM leftover from my build. Ended up going with ATT turbo. PM me if interested or for details.

The TM is for a GM8. I want 60 plus the ride. Gonna wait for OP. I need top put rest of goodies on classified.

the TM's fit all years, just different bolt holes used.

Not really, the GM8's TM (vertical) will not fit older turbo model (horizontal).

The horizontal TM fit in different years that uses horizontal actuator using different bolt hole.

Looks like the break point is 92-1995 then a 3rd part number for vans, and a 4th for Hummers...

Back