• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbocharging With Air Conditioner Assisted Intercooler

emmott

Reaction score
Just read some interesting papers from India on air-air intercooling, water-air intercooling, and refrigerant-air intercooling.
Under high engine RPM and moderate load, increase in air density across the heat exchangers was ~43%, ~75%, and ~160% respectively. The effectiveness of the air and the water heat exchangers reduced as RPMs increased while the effectiveness of the refrigerant heat exchanger had the same effectiveness across all RPM ranges. Running the AC compressor taxed ~2% tax in horsepower.
Apparently Ford patented a hybrid system where the cab AC refrigerant is redirected to an evaporator inside the air-water intercooler system reservoir. The system provided short bursts with IAT's below ambient and had a recharge time.

https://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jmce/papers/vol2-issue3/F0233844.pdf?id=2616
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...217337323/pdfft?isDTMRedir=true&download=true
https://jurnalteknologi.utm.my/index.php/jurnalteknologi/article/download/4832/3347
https://www.fordforums.com/threads/svts-supercooler-technology-explained.33176/

Now if one could fit a second AC compressor in with their belt drive...

Attachments

• F0233844.pdf
    566 KB · Views: 1
  • 1-s2.0-S1876610217337323-main.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 4832-13549-1-SM.pdf
    548 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am convinced a tiny one from a Honda, Toyota or something would do great.
Someone good at doing research on line could look up the top 5 most reliable small car a/c systems that run 134a so it’s the same as the truck. Then a trip to the junkyard because if they are reliable that wont be the parts getting removed. Get the compressor, 2 coils, snd sensors. Take the lines & control also not a bad idea. You have to have 3 or 4 Custom hoses made, diy the evap into your own box.

Now, keep in mind the evap is meant to have a low volume no pressure squirrel cage fan blowing through it. So you could put a LOT bigger coil (or multiple coils) and have no issue. But if you do that you can’t use the exact refrigerant measurement for the car.

Imagine having a cylindrical coil built to fit in a 4” pipe like a honeycomb then insulating it fully on the outside. Ok, back to reality.

It’s been a while since getting a/c parts from a junkyard, but it should be pretty cheap.

An AC evaporator looks like it has the same fin design as an water-air intercooler, in cutaway photos both cores look similar to a car radiator but with heavier wall thickness for the liquid. I doubt they would be different metals.

An of air-water intercooler could be pressure tested to the specifications for AC condensers and if they pass they may be safe for use with AC. I found some test numbers here http://www.ivsna.com/products_show-552.html still searching for a more official spec

This is very interesting. I’m not sure the power loss vs the power gain would be greater or not but seeing how is being in the technology era we are in now ifnn no it isn’t possible now to get more positive power it would be in the near future I’m sure from obviously someone smarter than I am lol. I know for short bursts methanol injection is good like a shot of nitrous or even nitrous itself for spoiling up and launching if you are into drag racing or pulling but I personally haven’t dipped my toes into that pool as of yet (the parts not drag racing) and although it isn’t expensive it has a little bit of a risk factor to it as far as detonation is concerned if not careful and playing with timing is in order for sure

Oh yeah it helps. On the dragstrip not worth it- better to do the ice water chiller system. But as soon as you have to drive 5 miles the a/c in er cooler system is definitely the best. Then water to awir cooler followed by regular cac.

the water/methanol injection is a win for adding into any of it, just annoying if you have it in a daily driver and have to refill the tank often. I am planning on doing a large auxiliary tank but can’t decide if it will be more fuel and loose the jerry cans or a wmi tank.

Well as for the drag strip, the best would be co2 through a coil... instant frost, -140*, it's been done but is outlawed now... Scotty Cannon did it years ago, watch this clip, I worked for him and I'll say he is a crazy dude, but tough me a lot...

I always hate when good ideas get ruled out. That is where all the good innovation come from. Taking the 1/4 mile down to 1000 feet sux too. The innovation in braking was getting amazing, then stalled.

Back