• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Upgrade???

marshmulisha199

Reaction score
hey yal, i gotta 92 gmc 2500 4x4 flatbed with the detroit 6.5 , i do alot of pulling and am looking for a way to get more power without spending huge money. im thinking of going with a bigger turbo. ive heard alot about the HX40W2 turbo but am not so sure what else to do with that for the power, all sugestions are helpful!!

thanks!!!

"live to ride, ride to slide"
-airboat addicts

Guess that depends on how much you are willing to shell out.
Power gains can be had in differing amounts/ways.
How good is your fresh air intake? How well do your injectors flow? Is your IP "tuned" to it's max potential?
Does your exhaust breathe as well as it could?
Then there's the turbo....which one? Research or word of mouth?

For my money and numbers I read....I liked what BANKS had to offer. For $2100 I got turbo with complete exhaust sustem, warranty, and free technical support. The system was designed to FIT my truck and their performance speaks well of itself. Like I said tho'...just my 2 cents.

Is your truck a factory turbo truck or no? If it has the factory turbo there are a few options out there that aren't that hard to do. The a team turbo is one option, as well as the HX40WII chinese knock off, the HX-35, and several others that people have been playing around with. Need to know what you have, how many miles on it, what you want from it, and have you been keeping up with all of your maintence type items as well like injectors. Then the guys here can give you suggestions for which way to go with it.

Depends what you use it for. As long as you ditch the stock turbo, you are heading in the right direction. However, if your vehicle is completely 100% bone stock, I would keep the stock turbo. Upgrades are almost pointless if you do them when they dont compliment other upgrades. For instance, if it is bone stock, leave it bone stock as far as the turbo goes. If it has more fuel, injectors, intake, and a nice 4inch exhaust, then the turbo would do a lot more. Got to tell us what you have so we can work with you to find the best route

We need to know a bit more about your truck before we can help with what you need to do. There are a few different ways to skin this cat just gotta know how involved you feel like getting.

What is your cruise RPM when towing? Where do you need more power? Low RPM from a stoplight or pulling a grade? MPG matter at all?

More power can be had with the same MPG by 1/4-1/3 turn of the IP screw and a turbomaster for 14 PSI of boost. Have you checked in the fender for the restrictive intake snorkel and removed it?

More power over 2200 RPM will require a bigger turbo period.

A 4" exhaust and a larger turbo gives power gains and some MPG gains while loaded.

its pretty much stock, putting 4 in on tomorrow and the stock turbo has that little vacumn pump thing on the top and i cant figure out where it connects to on the engine. i wanna get rid of that stock shit borg warner makes. its garbage. its 2500 sittin on xd series revolvers and 35in mud grapplers with a homemade 8ft flatbed with a gooseneck and fifth wheel rails and also a stripper pole for those south florida nights when shit gets rowdy

The stock turbo can is a spring can that pops about 6 PSI of boost. The can only has a stiff spring in it. No vacuum or engine computer control until 1994+ model years. The stock turbo makes 14 with the aftermarket turbomaster before it turns into an intake heater and it chokes the engine over 2200 RPM. The stock turbo is wound up about the time the starter disengages. This is good for leaving the stoplight esp with big tires. After that the big turbo will light and those you just left behind are passing your small turbo.

There has been some work done on using a BD boost valve to get the best of both small and big turbo worlds. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?36278-BD-Quick-Spool-Valve-Install-with-Pics

Sadly the 4" isn't going to do much for you with the big restriction being the turbo. Again how you use the truck, what you pull, and type of driving including hard grades or not help you make a decision on what is best for your situation to get a grin...

For example my goal was: Pulling a 28' cargo trailer up a 10% grade at the speed limit is a goal I achieved as well as doing the speed limit of 55 MPH from the stock setup speed of ~33 MPH through miles long ~7% grades.

You can build a turbo master out of the old one and make boost adjustable. Problem is your stock turbo will still be restrictive if you make a turbo master

If you can afford it, buy a better turbo.

If you search the site here you will find several ways to make a turbo master.

The stock turbo is so restrictive cause it's to small for our 6.5s. It adds way to much back pressure on the motor, in turn increasing the temps into the danger zone.

Back