• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Spool Up/Intercooler

NickBarrFishing.com

Reaction score
I have a GM-4 Turbo, and it feeds through a large 99 Ford Intercooler, which is placed behind the radiator. So my question is, does that large intercooler severely affect my turbo spool up time?

Also, is the intercooler even effective if its placed directly behind the radiator?

Thanks,
Nick

It will cause a small amount of lag, although it may not be noticeable. Pictures? I don't see how you could get anything between the radiator and the fan.

I can feel lag with my intercooler setup. I can't compare my lag to a 6.5L that doesn't have an intercooler... because I haven't driven a non-intercooled 6.5, yet.

Also, is the intercooler even effective if its placed directly behind the
radiator?

I am by no means an expert on inter-coolers, but I would think that logic dictates that would cause a lack of efficiency.

Theres lots of room between the radiator and fan to slide in an intercooler, the problem is you're still getting the loss of airflow to the radiator and not getting the most out of your intercooler. The heat off the radiator will not allow the intercooler to be as efficient as it could be, but it will still probably reduce intake temps enough to help keep EGT's down. The problem lies in the fact that you are still goingg to have reduced airflow through the radiator as each cooler you put up there will reduce airflow. The fan in my BURB is moved forward about an inch or two and I still managed to squeeze the intercooler out in front of the radiator while sliding it back.

Yeah, that is the one thing I am worried about. But I will be putting in an HO water pump w/ a HD Fan (Already has fan clutch mod) soon, so that will help pull a little air through I guess.

One thing is that I have been taking a look at some International Intercoolers which are coming out of vans. they are rectangular shaped ones which would easily below down by the skidplate or something.

Yeah, that is the one thing I am worried about. But I will be putting in an HO water pump w/ a HD Fan (Already has fan clutch mod) soon, so that will help pull a little air through I guess.

One thing is that I have been taking a look at some International Intercoolers which are coming out of vans. they are rectangular shaped ones which would easily below down by the skidplate or something.

arent most of them rectangles? ):h at any rate what dimensions are they?

I have heard that the lag is pretty noticeable with a I/C on these trucks. With the I/C mounted behind the rad I would think after the truck is warmed up you're actually heating the air with that setup. I/C's only drop the temp of the charge air a few degrees (IIRC around 10 if you're lucky) but they have to be out front and drawing virgin air. No matter what fan/clutch setup you run, the air coming off the back of the rad is going to be hot.

I would like to see pix of your setup too.

The amount of temp that an IC can drop is entirely dependant upon the temperature differential. The air coming out of a turbo can easily hit 350 or so, but a properly sized intercooler should be able to keep the air temps going into the engine down to roughly 180-200 max. It's actually a double edge sword though as too big of an intercooler can cost you HP and milage. Ideal intake air temp for a diesel is roughly 150-200 with an engine temp of 200-210 for most engines. Too cold of an intake air temp and you have to waste excess fuel to keep the cylinder temps up to produce the needed HP. And too hot and you won't have a dense enough air charge to make HP and milage.

Accuse me of a bias, and you would be correct, but an A Team Turbo runs far cooler intake temps than a GM turbo and moves some big air. The dataheads among us prefer the A Team without intercooler, and the turbo actually costs less than many intercooler kits.

Plus you get a really sweet sticker.

Back to your normally scheduled broadcast.

PS, Nick, we'd all love a photo of the setup.

The intercooler in this position is a bad idea if you have any plans for towing long distance or live in hot climate. I would just remove it or relocate it.

Back