• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

turbo questions

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
So with my recently found performance I'm actually getting concerned with having too much boost. Driving home today I was doing 60 and floored it. Tranny downshifted and the rpm came up pretty good and I hit 22 lbs of boost. That was with an empty truck. So I'm assuming with a good sized load it would go even higher. That puts me in uncomfortable territory. So I'm wondering what my options are. I've thought about a BOV most are pretty expensive for what they are. Also wondering about a turbo that had the same specs as the ATT but with a wastegate but wonder if that would negate the free flowing qualities that the ATT has.
I'm open to any an all ideas but please give your reasoning behind your thinking.

I had the home built turbo master on my truck for a while.
If the boost went over about 8 pounds, the SES lamp would illuminate. I did have it go over 15 pounds a couple of times when the truck was empty.
I was in fear of blowing a head gasket so I backed the adjustments way off, to about 6 pounds pulling a load.
It sure did like the higher boost levels though.
After cleaning terminals, the ECM control is now functional, its not as fun as the higher boost levels but the fuel mileage came up about two to the gallon. LOL

Remind me please: OE wastegate or turbomaster?

If OE, maybe going with a TM and dial-it-in to control the boost? Although, going with a TM will come with the added cost of a tune (or going cheap and ignoring the SES :) ).

Careful hotrod, you're gonna lift the heads off. It's either BOV or dial back the fuel rate. Or will the ATT settle down once broke in? I can't recall nor do I have personal experience with this turbo.

What tune are you running?
Stock spec IP, right?
Iirc you just did the injectors with 303’s at 2350?

Could be a softer tune is the answer. Maybe a 2x4 under the pedal so it doesn’t go down so far? Haha.

What tune are you running?
Stock spec IP, right?
Iirc you just did the injectors with 303’s at 2350?

Could be a softer tune is the answer. Maybe a 2x4 under the pedal so it doesn’t go down so far? Haha.

Stock used IP no idea how many miles and yes marine injectors but set to 2250. Been looking at BOVs on ebay there are some cheaper ones I might try. Pretty sure I have enough air as I don't get a haze even so I could probably cut back on the boost a bit without losing much power

Not clear on your setup. You are saying you are reaching 22 PSI on the ATT turbo? Do you have ARP head studs? Have you verified the accuracy of the gauge although with more fuel from marine injectors I suggest it's accurate.

I found the 1995 engine sensor stops at like 17PSI of boost and the 1993 DB2 wouldn't get over 18 PSI on my ATT setup. I have run 24 PSI with the backpressure penalty of the HX40II (vs. the ATT). 24 PSI was on the even higher compression of the NA 6.2 hybrid under the hood of the 1995. (Run would be extended 24 PSI runs on grades seeing if anything would blow up... In fact the boost hose blowing off the intake was a problem and many in the audience s*%t their pants at a dyno day when it blew off at 24 PSI while on the rollers.) If you don't have ARP's you can worry about popping head gaskets from head bolt stretch. Otherwise I wouldn't worry at 24 PSI...

You are the first person in history to complain about too much boost from an ATT. :p

Cut fuel in the tune or advance timing some could reduce boost.

BOV's are a waste of MPG energy as it's better to WG the turbo than waste boost leaving high drive pressure.

I hear you on the wastegate. The other side of this equation is the in all reality it won't spend much time wasting excess boost vs a wastegate increasing drive pressure most of the time.

Back