• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo mounting gasket...

D2 Cat

Reaction score
What do you use and where is it obtained? How about the gasket for the oil drain flange at the turbo? Can I get these at the dealer separately?

I started with the need to replace return lines. So, why not do glow plugs? Well then, what about injectors?

I'm just making work for myself! But I've got it all apart so there's no turning back

Diapco makes an injector install kit. Has turbo gaskets and return hoses. Heath sells a kit. These kits have no clip hose that is easier to install but some say most any hose will work without clips but I don't know.

The turbo doesn't really require a gasket but you can use one. It comes in the kit kinda a thin metal gasket thinner but similar to a exhaust manifold gasket. I have read clean the surfaces and it will seal ok. I think if there are any leaks soot will clog them up. The factory did not use one.

Included in the kit is the drain gasket you could make a gasket with material sutiable for hot surfaces and oil. There is no appreciable pressure on this gasket.

Thanks for the info. I have the return line. I just wondered about the turbo. There was nothing there when I removed it. I'll wire brush it and bolt it down.

I'll fabricate a gasket for the oil drain. How about high temp. silicone?

That 2" piece of hose on the oil drain pipe---is that just for flexibility? It looks like a source of leaks on my truck.

Just pulled the turbo on my son's '95 to do the injectors and glows. There was no gasket under the exhaust side of the turbo, but I had one from a Heath kit and installed it. There was a gasket at the oil return line. Harder than heck to scrape the old one off. Had a new one from a Heath kit and installed that. For some reason that was a bitch.

Used the clampless hose. Heath says to use the clamps on the plugs used on the injectors closest to the firewall. For the life of me, can't figure out how to get those clamps in place with the injector installed.

Just pulled the turbo on my son's '95 to do the injectors and glows. There was no gasket under the exhaust side of the turbo, but I had one from a Heath kit and installed it. There was a gasket at the oil return line. Harder than heck to scrape the old one off. Had a new one from a Heath kit and installed that. For some reason that was a bitch.

Used the clampless hose. Heath says to use the clamps on the plugs used on the injectors closest to the firewall. For the life of me, can't figure out how to get those clamps in place with the injector installed.

I put the caps on the injector before install. They didn't interfere with the inj socket.

I have put them on separately though. I put the clamp on the hose in my hand and pinched the clamp (fun) and slid (forced) it on blindly.

I used a thin metal gasket that came with a used turbo I bought, don't know where you'd buy it, someone said ATT (?).

Ya, the oil return line gasket was hard to scrape off, but that's prolly why it leaked on mine too. The 1"x2" hose connector to the blcok adapter was leaking on mine too. Got both these at the stealer, $13 os so for both.

I installed the clips on the return line terminator plugs using mini needlenose pliers. Helps to have the passenger inner fender liner and exh downpipe off to do that.

This truck was sold because it had fuel problems. Air in fuel and fuel actually dripping after a few minutes of run time.

The return lines were the style with the braided outside. They were brittle from age, I suppose. I replaced the driver side because it was easy and hoping I might solve the problem until I could see how the truck would run.

I still had drips. Upon getting to the pass. side the cap on the back injector was non-existent and the return lines would break with much bending at all!

I also discovered NO started bracket. Vacuum lines were also brittle.

This oil drain gasket was just setting there with some silicone here and there. It provided another oil leak.

In removing the inner fender and the turbo I had the most difficulty removing the inside bolt on the drain tube.

I have no gasket for the turbo. For the oil drain I purchased some rubber gasket material and red RTV. I just made my own gasket and sandwiched it in red RTV. The old one took a few minutes with a wire wheel on a drill to get off. All those heat cycles cooked it on nicely. I also removed the inner fender to get to everything a little more easily.

Back