• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

turbo boost

dusty

Reaction score
hey i just installed a new turbo guage tried it out when i walk on it it climbs quickly to btween 10 and 12 is this good average or poor thanks in advance 4 any info.

I remember them days of the stock boost levels, cant say they are missed lol but yes 10-12 is about right.

The boost uisng a stock 6.5 ECM and vacuum control set-up should spike to 10-12 and then drop back to about 7PSI at sea level. The 6.5 is designed to run at roughly 21-22 PSI of intake pressure at all times at max load unless the intake air temp gets to high and then it drops boost down. Sea level is roughly 14.7 PSI so that gives you about 7 pounds of boost. At 10,000 feet your atmospheric pressure is only about 10 PSI so your boost should run up around 12 max at that altitude.

That is what mine shows on the boost gauge is this too low? Is 21-22 achievable with a new eeprom tune. I'm running a gm-4 turbo I wonder if my turbo is working properly.

The stock turbos are only good to about 15-16 pounds of boost, but are really inefficient much beyond 12 or so. The boost numbers I stated are atmospheric plus engine boost since the ECM works via total engine pressure, not just boost pressure.

That is what mine shows on the boost gauge is this too low? Is 21-22 achievable with a new eeprom tune. I'm running a gm-4 turbo I wonder if my turbo is working properly.

If that's with the 4" exhaust in your sig it is on the low side. 4" exhaust made a huge diff.

If that's with the 4" exhaust in your sig it is on the low side. 4" exhaust made a huge diff.

I ran 7 pounds with the stock exhaust as well as with the 3" mandrel bent BANKS I ran. The ECM limits boost via the boost pressure sensor in the upper intake.

when I went to the 4" exhaust my boost went from basically 0 crusing down the road to maybe 6-7 up a big hill. after the exhaust it went to 2-3 crusing and moving rapidly upward with any throttle movement and spiking10-11 and settling down to 8-9 on a big hill. I think my cat was getting plugged

Back