• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo Blanket opinions.

Bigburban

Reaction score
I have been looking at turbo blankets not finding alot of info on them. Anyone use them? Do they really lower under hood temps? Any problems with EGT?

I too have been debating one for my K-5 just because the air intake is fairly close to the turbine housing. I'd think they'd help lower under hood temps.

I know when i wrapped part of my exhaust due to it heating up the non-insulated floors after a 15 mile drive in stop and go traffic i can pull into the driveway at home, shut hte engine down and crawl under and touch the heat-wrapped part of the exhaust. Can't touch the unwrapped parts, so the exhaust wrap does work, and i believe the turbo blanket's are made of the same material.

I'm running one on my Tahoe, but am sorry to say that vehicle has no gauges :eek:

I installed it cause the OEM heat shield was missing when I purchased the vehicle & I was worried it would blister the paint on the hood without one. The OEM cover would have been a cheaper solution & I would have went that way but the cover bolts were busted off clean in the turbo. A majority of my under the hood insulation was scorched when I installed it. That stopped after the install. Mine came from fleabay was about 80 bucs iirc. Easy installation I used 3 SS springs.

Wish I had more to share, other then my Tahoe does run fabulous chipped no cat of muff.

Found a few on ebay for around 60-75 bucks list for a t-4 size turbo. Thats why I am debating putting one on because of air intake location and a/c evaporator to see if it helps with underhood temps. Good info on the heat wrap I am going to wrap the down pipe as well.

I wrapped the down pipe past the bend in the passenger floor pan. Manifolds are wrapped. Turbo blanket. Crossover pipe wrapped. All painted in the header wrap sealer paint.

Before I did this - well there is a burn in the floor pan paint from the exhaust and high EGT's towing. Anything that went near the turbo or exaust was melted - AC lines - wires etc. This was just a GM3 on my 1993.

I can touch the turbo blanket after engine shutdown without burns. No EGT differences, but preturbo wrap and turbo wrap keeps the heat in and more heat means more turbo drive energy.

The downside as others have pointed out if the wrap holds salt etc. to eat the manifolds away.

Good info! I think I am going to use the heat wrap. How hard was it to wrap still on the truck? Most info I have found says they have gotta good results with the wrap. I also think the a/c will work better with out all the heat radiating on the evap. canister.

After getting a turbo Blanket from Walking J I wouldn't run a turbo without, it makes a big difference in under hood temps.

Wrapped the back of the turbo section, down pipe looks like a Saturday morning project. Any better ideas besides those worthless stainless straps? Ended up just using wire to secure the wrap. Now to get a turbo blanket!

I made my own for my ATT but it looks like I made my own if you know what I mean. Other than being a little larger in dia. than the GM, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work but I'd have to look at mine to know for sure....

Ok, I've looked at it and it would require some slight modification to go around the waste gate controller, a slit to slip around the mounting, some dissassembly of the controller and a hole in the blanket to slip over the mounting or simply slip it over the controller due to the larger dia. and leave it as is. It isn't like the waste gate is going to be hampered from moving.... Best case scenario, Talk to Patrick, he may be able to fab up one for special.

Wrapped the back of the turbo section, down pipe looks like a Saturday morning project. Any better ideas besides those worthless stainless straps? Ended up just using wire to secure the wrap. Now to get a turbo blanket!

Twisted .032" stainless safety wire (some call it lock wire), is what I used, left over from my days of working on aero-derivative gas turbines. Harbor freight carries it and safety/lock wire pliers good stuff to have around.

I used stainless ties they sell for this. Just bend the wire and wack the ball lock in place. Use a lot of them...

The downpipe is a under the truck deal and remove the fender liner. I did mine with the engine conveniently out of the way. Manifolds I did off the engine, and I am not sure they can be done while on the truck. GP's in the way.

Found this one on fleabay. Its for a d-max but the cut out looks the same.
Ebay item item439b4bd91a

Staff edit clipped the hot link to ebay for item that is a direct competing item to one of our paying sponsors/advertisers we need to support our sponsors and not hot link to their competition which is sort of free advertising for them passing hot links, discussions for alternative is okay we don't allow direct linking to our sponsors competition Thanks in advance for understanding

Last edited by a moderator:
Back