• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tuners

kramer56

Recruit
Reaction score
My buddy has a truck exactly like mine in the sig only his is red and has no tuner. he has exhaust, intake same as mine but he wants a tuner now. He wants alot of available power but he is leaning towards shift on fly kinda thing. Does anyone here like or no anything about quadzilla products?
Has edge got their shit together? or what tuner would you guys recommend for him. I like my ppe but he doesn't think it took in his truck because mine pulls way more than his does when i load it in his truck. He was not too happy and why would it feel so different than it does in mine? Could mine have a tune in it that i don't know about since I did buy it used and now I am stacking so to speak?

Anyways anyone on the tuners for his truck?

Thanks guys.

My buddy has a truck exactly like mine in the sig only his is red and has no tuner. he has exhaust, intake same as mine but he wants a tuner now. He wants alot of available power but he is leaning towards shift on fly kinda thing. Does anyone here like or no anything about quadzilla products?
Has edge got their shit together? or what tuner would you guys recommend for him. I like my ppe but he doesn't think it took in his truck because mine pulls way more than his does when i load it in his truck. He was not too happy and why would it feel so different than it does in mine? Could mine have a tune in it that i don't know about since I did buy it used and now I am stacking so to speak?

Anyways anyone on the tuners for his truck?

Thanks guys.

On the fly may not be so great for the transmission, and for that matter Edge has been known to have some issues. No two trucks will run the same and it is hard to say that one truck feels different than the next without lining them up. When you load the PPE in his truck are you giving the trans time to learn? I would recommend the PPE for his truck. I got the best mileage on level 2. Hope this helps, if you have any questions give me a ring we aren't too far from you.:thumbsup:

Wow thanks man and yes I do get the best milage and all around smoothness on level 2 also. He has had it for 2 weeks and it does act different than stock on level 5 for him it is nothing like mine is on that same level. his barely blows black smoke even so he don't think its in there. So why is the tranny stuff not good with on the fly tuners.

one more thing if a tuner is rated 225hp increase at crank what might that be at the wheels as some rate theirs at RWHP. Trying to compare mine to like edge or quadzilla for him on the power levels.

Wow thanks man and yes I do get the best milage and all around smoothness on level 2 also. He has had it for 2 weeks and it does act different than stock on level 5 for him it is nothing like mine is on that same level. his barely blows black smoke even so he don't think its in there. So why is the tranny stuff not good with on the fly tuners.

On the fly changes the power levels at any time which doesn't the give Allison time to learn the new power. That results in poor shifts, and easier way to limp/burn clutches IMO.

I ran a 425RWHP tune on my LBZ on the stock trans with a pretty harsh beating, it never missed a beat. I believe with leaving it on that tune, and smart driving kept it alive.

On Edit:
How is his fuel filter? That would make a lot of difference.

I never liked the PPE. It was entirely too doggy and had way too much turbo lag. Then again, this is on an LBZ, not an LLY.

at the time it new filter. i dont know but he wants alot of power and i am trying to keep him with rwhp ratings but would like a comparison on the 2 ratings if at all possible.

I never liked the PPE. It was entirely too doggy and had way too much turbo lag. Then again, this is on an LBZ, not an LLY.

Turbo lag it does have trust me it sucks donkey nuts too. I am thinking of changeing my tuner also if I can get a good safe, tuner that will get off the line quicker. I like change lol.

at the time it new filter. i dont know but he wants alot of power and i am trying to keep him with rwhp ratings but would like a comparison on the 2 ratings if at all possible.

If he wants alot of power then he better start saving now for abuilt trans. The 05- ALLISON's can't take the power like the 06+ 6 speeds can stock, and with just a TRANSGO JR the 6 speed is pretty good. For a boxed tuner I liked NICK's PREDATOR ALOT. It was very smooth and responsive, and it gave the truck that strong all around feeling. Some tuners drive completely stock until the last little bit of pedal which I don't personally like. Also the PPE is a strong tuner, but it IS smoky. If he wants the most power on a stock trans then go PPE or something with ALOT of safetys in it. Also bear in mind that an aged tranny will already be at a disadvantage as it has miles on it stock, adding a tuner will cause the trans to fail rapidly. If his trans is aged with high miles then his torque converter is probably getting pretty loose and that would cause it to feel doggy with a big tuner as you would be slipping it and the TCM would pull fuel from the engine to protect it. Also he could call RIDGERUNNER and have him do a custom ECM for him with a DSP5 switch in it for close to what a PPE would cost, and the tuning would be far superior to that of a boxed tuner.

Thats a very good point. Ted's driven my truck with Predator tuned before I moved. He liked the PPE and I was never a real fan of that. I just didnt like how the truck felt. It was just too sluggish and seemed to take too much throttle to get it moving, not to mention that it could completely fog an entire intersection and left my rear bumper and tip black from soot.

I would say just go with EFI live or have the still master Tony tune the ECM for him. They dont get much better than that.

Back